Amendment Ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amendment Ignored

Client did her own return with off-the-shelf software. She had a Roth conversion and not only paid tax on it, she managed to report it as an excess contribution and paid the 6% penalty.

In addition to the 6% penalty, she found an extra $75 in basis for one of her stock sales. I filed an amended return reducing her capital gain by $75 and removing the 6% penalty, and included documentation that the transaction was a run-of-the-mill Roth conversion.

The IRS recognized the reduced capital gain and sent her a refund for $9, but they completely ignored the removal of the 6% penalty. I'm sitting here right now listening to classical music and hearing about how important my call is to them.

I don't want to send in another amended return. Does anyone have experience in getting them to take a second look at an amended return?

Armando

what about calling the Practitioners Hot Line and talking with them about it.

Comment

I would turn it over to the Taxpayers Advocates Office.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

After listening to some soothing classical music for a while, a real person answered. I gave some info, got put on hold again, then a different person came on the line. There were some communication difficulties. I finally got another number to call.

Ah, success? The last person I talked to sounded like they knew what they were doing.

Assuming this is the correct information, what we have here is a "Reconsideration" of an amended return. She gave me a fax number and told me to send an explanation.

I have my fingers crossed.

Comment

If it doesn't work out with this last person. I also recommend the Taxpayer Adovcate Service. I've posted about it on here before. But they got the amendment on through and my customer's their refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando Beaujolais
            After listening to some soothing classical music for a while, a real person answered.

Last time I called IRS and was put on hold, they were playing top 40 radio. I suppose BMI or ASCAP finally got a hold of IRS and told them to knock it off.

It is illegal to play the radio in your office for customers or over the phone while on hold if you have not paid writer's royalties to BMI or ASCAP.

Classical music, on the other hand, is OK because those composers have been dead for centuries.

Comment

I listen to classical all the time. But Mick Jagger is not dead yet.

Comment

Amendment Ignored

You could also get a quicker response by using E-Services.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

ignored it

You might investigate the possibility that IRS rejected the change rather than ignored it.

Comment

E Services

I have had great luck/success with e-services. Downside is filing the POA and waiting a few days for the computer to recognize the POA.

I can access the taxpayer's account transcript, post a response to a CP notice, or check on status. They will email you back that a response has been posted.

Seems to take a little less time than sitting on the phone to resolve some issues, such as posting payments. Not sure if it will work on an amended return, but does work well for notices.

Sandy

Comment

POA on-line

Originally posted by S T
                      I have had great luck/success with e-services. Downside is filing the POA and waiting a few days for the computer to recognize the POA.
                      Sandy, did you know that if you have a valid POA in front of you that you can punch that POA into e-services? Then you can immediatly access their account on e-services (instead of waiting a few days).

Of course though, the downside is you need to have this year or last year's AGI, and each taxpayers' date-of-birth to hand-enter the POA into e-services -- you don't need this info if you fax the POA in.

Bill

Comment

e-Services POA

But, if you have dial-up, it takes an astronomical time to enter a POA on e-Services. Time that is non-billable. I just FAX the 2848, and 3 days later go to e-Services for whatever. I know you can get something other than dial-up, though it is very expensive in my community and I can't justify the cost as I don't have a need for it that much.
                        Jiggers, EA

Comment

non-billable

Originally posted by Jiggers
                          But, if you have dial-up, it takes an astronomical time to enter a POA on e-Services. Time that is non-billable. I just FAX the 2848, and 3 days later go to e-Services for whatever. I know you can get something other than dial-up, though it is very expensive in my community and I can't justify the cost as I don't have a need for it that much.
                          Yes, I do appreciate the fact that it does take time to enter the 2848 into e-services (if you have all the needed info). Just wanted to make sure people were aware that it can be entered on-line (at least in some cases) so that if they're in a hurry they may be able to resolve things quicker.

I have hand-entered some into e-services, and have faxed some.

Bill

Comment

Form 2848

Thanks Bill, no I didn't know that I could enter 2848 on e services. Most of my client base are long time clients, so I usually have all info. I will try on the new client notice just received on mis applied payments.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                            X