E-Filing Over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Filing Over?

I assume no more e-filing for 2013? Paper returns only option now?

e-file

You can e-file till 11/22/14

Comment

Thanks. Just got the notice.. According to notice, that is for 1040's. Business MEF not until December 26. Does that mean business returns (1120, 1165, 1041's) or payroll?

Comment

If your program allows you can continue to file 2012 and 2013 including amended and business returns
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          If your program allows you can continue to file 2012 and 2013 including amended and business returns
          That's good to know. Which software would you suggest for e-filing amended returns?

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
            That's good to know. Which software would you suggest for e-filing amended returns?
            I use ProSeries Pro they have what they call Fast Track...if the return type is allowed by IRS for e-filing PS Pro will efile 3 years back...but this started with 2012 so you can only go back that far. If you renew with Fast Track each year you will be able to continually file the current three open years in the future. It also files State returns if the state has approved PS (Intuit) to do so.

Comment

You cannot e-file amended returns.

The IRS accepts e-filed returns for current year plus two prior years. Check with your software. Also, with your state.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                You cannot e-file amended returns.
                You can't e-file amended Individual returns (yet), but I think you can e-file amended Business returns.

The MeF system processes both superseding and amended returns for Forms 1120, 1120-S and 1120-F. If the taxpayer is required to e-file an original return and needs to file an amended or superseding return, they must e-file that return. Any taxpayer who has received an approved waiver from IRS to file their particular return on paper is exempted from this requirement.

Comment

yet....is the word!

Comment

Simple answer

You cannot now, nor could you ever, e-file the 1040-X amended individual return.

Comment

Bill is right about other entity returns - amended. Check with your software, but you should be able to e-file amended entity returns. Check with the states, though.

The IRS does not seem to have in its sights the ability to e-file amended individual returns. No for current and prior years. And, don't hold your breath for the future.

Comment

My Lacerte software indicates I can now file 2013 1040X returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Y2KEA View Post
                          My Lacerte software indicates I can now file 2013 1040X returns.
                          "file" or "efile"?

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                            "file" or "efile"?
                            Meant to say efile

Comment

From IRS.gov

Amended Returns
                              Question: Can I file an amended Form 1040X electronically?
                              Answer:
                              At this time, the Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is not accepted electronically; only an original tax return may be electronically filed. You must file a paper Form 1040X. If you are due a refund, you will be issued a check and cannot use direct deposit.
                              Additional Information:
                              Filing Your Taxes
                              Instructions for Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Category: Electronic Filing (e-file)
                              Subcategory: Amended Returns

Comment

Working...
                              X