Penalty Abatement Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penalty Abatement Letters

How you normally submit penalty abatement letters? Can they be faxed to practitioner's priority service or should they be mailed? I know I used to call to get abatement but it so hard to get through to a live body with the IRS anymore that I prefer to fax or mail. I've been mailing but just wondering if a fax would work just as well?

Carolyn

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
    How you normally submit penalty abatement letters? Can they be faxed to practitioner's priority service or should they be mailed? I know I used to call to get abatement but it so hard to get through to a live body with the IRS anymore that I prefer to fax or mail. I've been mailing but just wondering if a fax would work just as well?

Carolyn

If it's the "automatic get-out-of-jail-free abatement," you can often get it just by phoning the Practitioner Priority Line. Otherwise, I usually suggest to the client what to write, and have them mail it in. It saves the need for a POA, and often the client can produce a better sob story than you can
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I'm just doing the "automatic-get-out-of-jail" abatement but for me it is more convenient to mail/fax letters than hang out on hold on the Practitioner Priority Line. Do faxed requests get processed?

Comment

Call PPS

I suggest you call PPS when they first open at 7 AM Eastern. Or call 30 minutes before they close. This is the way I get through. With PPS the case is handled immediately. I had one that PPS could not work on becasue the person had not filed in 2 of the three years, her income was below the filing threshiold. I wrote a letter. The letter was looked at but no one did anything. After 3 or 4 months I called PPS and the Rep said oh I see you wrote, I see she was not required to file so now I can get the penalty removed. Had I not called PPS nothing would ever have happened.

Comment

Working...
        X