IRS Offers Voluntary Tax Preparer Education Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Offers Voluntary Tax Preparer Education Program

Looks like the IRS is trying a different approach, an incentive approach to get those 60% paid preparers w/no oversight to at least obtain come CE. Maybe the IRS should have taken this approach initially. Unless I missed something in the article, it does not look like the IRS will be the CE provider for these CE webinars like they use to do in the past.

Last edited by AZ-Tax; 06-27-2014, 12:01 PM.

So the clock is the camera? Interesting.

I know the IRS stopped giving CE credits for their stuff like in 2012? However, they're now issuing CE credit for some of their webinars once again at least. For the voluntary program I don't think the IRS is planning to be the primary CE provider any more than they have been for EA. If you can pick up an hour here or there cool.

Comment

The IRS webinars are givine CE credits once again! I think I picked up 3 free credit hours already since end of tax season. When you register for the webinar make sure you provide your correct PTIN.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Do I Understand This?

I read the TTB article on the AFSP. It seems that during 2015 if I don't participate in the program I will not be allowed to represent my clients at audits of their 2015 returns. To participate in the AFSP program I will need to have 15 hours of Continuing Ed consisting of 10 hours of Federal law, 3 hours of Federal Updates, and 2 hours of Ethics. If I did not have my RTRP the requirements would be 18 hours rather than 15. Is my understanding accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
          I read the TTB article on the AFSP. It seems that during 2015 if I don't participate in the program I will not be allowed to represent my clients at audits of their 2015 returns. To participate in the AFSP program I will need to have 15 hours of Continuing Ed consisting of 10 hours of Federal law, 3 hours of Federal Updates, and 2 hours of Ethics. If I did not have my RTRP the requirements would be 18 hours rather than 15. Is my understanding accurate?

Almost. The representation limitation doesn't start until 2016 (tax returns signed after December 31st, 2015). You need to be part of the program for both the year you signed the return and the year you represent the taxpayer.

A non-RTRP needs 18 hours, but each year they are required to take a specific 6 hour update course and pass a 100 question test on the course.

IR-2014-75, June 26, 2014 — The IRS announced that guidance will soon be issued outlining a new voluntary program designed to encourage education and filing season readiness for paid tax return preparers.

Comment

Working...
          X