Docusign Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Docusign Revisited

I didn't think the IRS accepted docusign, but I have a new client whose Liberty Tax Service signature pages has used it.

It would be a good-and-wonderful-thing if I could use it. I have a ton of non-locals.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Yes, you could use it. Probably more trouble than it's worth. The IRS released new guidance this year regarding the digital signatures. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Electronic-Si...-8878-and-8879

The way I read it, docusign would be fine. The identity verification requirements are where it probably doesn't make sense. For an in-person digital signature, you need to verify identity. For example, look at a government picture identification. Not terrible, more than is required with a handwritten signature. With a remote transaction, "Verify that the name, social security number, address, date of birth and other personal information on record are consistent with the information provided through record checks with the applicable agency or institution or through credit bureaus or similar databases." So now you're looking at paying a third party company for identity verification against a credit bureau or similar database. Likely need to ask for authorization to do so from taxpayer. And what if the information doesn't match up - taxpayer just moved and the address does not match, for example. Seems rather burdensome. Or, you could just keep having them do a handwritten signature on 8879 and mail/fax it back to you? Easy choice for me.

Oh, also if you do anything other than fed returns the question would remain: Does the state allow it?
    Last edited by David1980; 06-25-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I agree

I agree. There is something there saying that I would also need the computer IP address where the signature originated?? Who HAS all that information?

Geez. They don't make it easy, do they? I'll keep my signatures personal, no digital for me.

Thanks~
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
      X