EITC and/or Head of Household Worksheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EITC and/or Head of Household Worksheet

Outside of what is presented to us in our "Tax Software" has anyone created a worksheet of Q & A to use for HOH and EITC for a situation of "shared custody"

If so, could or would you private email me?? I have printed out the 8867 Questionnaires, just wondered, if someone developed something more than.

I am having a really difficult time with one client - The shared custody and days I get, but trying to convey all of that to the client, as somehow I feel she (Mother) is skirting around the entire issue, saying it is agreed between both she and the Father.

Almost to the point of sending her down the road - however, has been a long time client past years prior to these issues arising for 2013.

Thanks

Sandy
    Last edited by S T; 06-09-2014, 01:41 AM.

PS
    Thanks all for reading this, I believe I have developed a "reasonable Q & A" from several sources for my due diligence and also satisfaction to report correctly, to forward to the client for them to answer - so that I can then determine Filing status, dependency status and EITC.

On this issue with this client, I am getting nowhere with the normal questions, so I need to elaborate and send forms for her to complete.

This experience is one good reason to remind me, why I do not get involved with EITC, and certain issues with preparing returns for "shared custody"

Sandy

Comment

Ask her for a copy of her calendar with the nights the child slept in her house marked. If those do not number 183 (184 in leap years), then ask her for Form 8332 signed by the father.

If she's a long-time client you want to keep and you feel you know everything you should know, then file her return. But, tell her what will happen if both parents claim the child.

Pub 596 has a couple of worksheets, some nice graphics and charts, and pages of explanations. We can't rely on Pubs for tax advice, but they are handy to show clients what the IRS says about a topic.

Comment

Working...
      X