Suggestion for Forum Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for Forum Format

It sure would be nice if there were a box at the bottom of a thread page where you could "return to the forum" without paging all the way up to the top.

I just click on the silver "Forum" box at the top left-hand side (beside the black "What's New?" box). Does that accomplish what you are suggesting?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I just hit my back button
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

I click on Main Forum/Tax Discussion just below the red banner.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
          I just click on the silver "Forum" box at the top left-hand side (beside the black "What's New?" box). Does that accomplish what you are suggesting?
          Yes, that is what I do, but if you are at the bottom of a very long thread you have to scroll to the top to get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
            I click on Main Forum/Tax Discussion just below the red banner.
            Voila! There is no tab which says "Main Forum/Tax Discussion" on the red banner at the bottom of the page. But I did find one to click that says "Top." At least that gets me to the top faster. I still have to click on Forum once I am there. I just thought it would be nice to have a Forum button at the bottom as well. Saves a step.
            Last edited by Burke; 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

OK.
              I get it.
              I'm usually on a Mac or an iPad, and I forget how difficult navigation can be with the old mouse technology.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Simplifying things

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                Voila! There is no tab which says "Main Forum/Tax Discussion" on the red banner at the bottom of the page. But I did find one to click that says "Top." At least that gets me to the top faster. I still have to click on Forum once I am there. I just thought it would be nice to have a Forum button at the bottom as well. Saves a step.
                My vote would be to replace the " previous thread / next thread " line at the bottom with a "return to forum" line.

FE

Comment

other options

Home key will return you to the top of the page.

Backspace will take you back to the previous webpage.

Comment

mouse option

also try - right click mouse and choose back to return to previous page

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                      My vote would be to replace the " previous thread / next thread " line at the bottom with a "return to forum" line.
                      I agree. I'll speculate that few people read this forum with those links.

I wouldn't expect our hosts to analyze the log files to determine how often those links are used (if that's even possible). The software vendor might, but I wouldn't be surprised if this type of forum is the exception compared to most of their customers.

Comment

Forum button needed

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                        I agree. I'll speculate that few people read this forum with those links.

I wouldn't expect our hosts to analyze the log files to determine how often those links are used (if that's even possible). The software vendor might, but I wouldn't be surprised if this type of forum is the exception compared to most of their customers.
                        CORRECT !

I seriously doubt if there are many viewers who just "thumb through" the numerous posts in any kind of forward/backward sequence.

Obviously the (various) options for returning to the previous page are out there, but quite frankly sometimes I do NOT wish to return to "a previous page."

The use of the "Home" button is a weak compromise, but many forums I monitor generally have a "Return to Forum" button or similar located very near to where the person who was reading the posts already was, in most cases near the bottom of the relevant page.

FE

Comment

Forum suggestions

Wonder if it would be helpful to have the monitors key in TTB page references from their growing library.

Or would that take all the fun out of this forum?
                          Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Originally posted by dkss View Post
                            also try - right click mouse and choose back to return to previous page
                            Well, ah'll be! That does work (also Backspace key but this is more convenient.) Thanks.

Comment

[QUOTE=FEDUKE404;164715]My vote would be to replace the " previous thread / next thread " line at the bottom with a "return to forum" line.

FE[/QUOTE
                              I agree
                              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                              X