Gifts Annual Exclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifts Annual Exclusion

Clients would like to give child and husband money for a house. Would range from $30,000 to $40,000.
    He has already given $10,000 each to both this year

I thought about the gift splitting but would like to avoid a gift tax return if possible.

What about giving gifts to minor grand children? It appears that this would not work as the money would have to put into a custodial account and could not be used for the purchase of a house.

The only other thing I can think of is gifting some of the money to my Client's other child and that child turn around and giving it to first child.
    Would that work?

Again, I do not mind doing the gift tax return and the client doesn't either. Just trying to figure a way of not having to do one if possible.
    Last edited by geekgirldany; 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM.

Possible $56,000 exclusion

Are all parties married? If so, father and mother may give daughter $14,000 apiece. And then give her husband $14,000 apiece during the same year.

Total is $56,000. Possible downside is they have created joint ownership of the house between son and an in-law. That may be a downside for some people.

Stay away from grandchildren if you can. Ownership may get unnecessarily snarled otherwise.

Comment

Yes, they are all married.
      Okay, so Client's Husband and Wife.. Husband gives Son $14,000, Husband gives Son Wife $14,000. Wife gives Son $14,000, Wife gives Son Wife $14,000.
      Each of them doing it this way should avoid gift splitting and should avoid doing a Gift Tax Return. Correct?

You wrote "Possible downside is they have created joint ownership of the house between son and an in-law."
      Are you talking about joint ownership between son/wife and father/mother?
      Last edited by geekgirldany; 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Son and daughter-in-law (or is it daughter and son-in-law?) will each be contributing half for the down payment. That may or may not be their intent or the intent of the parents.

Also, don't forget to subtract out the $20,000 the parents have already given their child and spouse this year, plus any and all other gifts for birthdays, holidays, etc.

They could always aim for a really, really long escrow so parents can give more 1 January 2015 !!

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
          Clients would like to give child and husband money for a house. Would range from $30,000 to $40,000.
          He has already given $10,000 each to both this year

I thought about the gift splitting but would like to avoid a gift tax return if possible.

What about giving gifts to minor grand children? It appears that this would not work as the money would have to put into a custodial account and could not be used for the purchase of a house.

The only other thing I can think of is gifting some of the money to my Client's other child and that child turn around and giving it to first child.
          Would that work?

Again, I do not mind doing the gift tax return and the client doesn't either. Just trying to figure a way of not having to do one if possible.
          I'm perplexed by your last sentence. What's the big deal - parent(s) give the money, parent(s) file the 709(s) - nothing to worry about.

Your idea of giving to the other child is a bad one - you would be engaging in a step transaction - substance would prevail over form. Do the 709!!!

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
            Yes, they are all married.
            Okay, so Client's Husband and Wife.. Husband gives Son $14,000, Husband gives Son Wife $14,000. Wife gives Son $14,000, Wife gives Son Wife $14,000.
            Each of them doing it this way should avoid gift splitting and should avoid doing a Gift Tax Return. Correct?

Yes.

If they still want to give more, either file the Gift Tax return or they can give more in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
              I'm perplexed by your last sentence. What's the big deal - parent(s) give the money, parent(s) file the 709(s) - nothing to worry about.

Your idea of giving to the other child is a bad one - you would be engaging in a step transaction - substance would prevail over form. Do the 709!!!
              Client mentioned about giving to the other child. I was unsure about it.

I think that any preparer would try to find out all they can about a given situation if it would avoid having to prepare a possible unnecessary gift tax return.
              As such asking my questions I was only trying to understand exactly what my clients were allowed to give to the child/wife.

There is no big deal about doing the gift tax return. As I said I do not mind preparing it and they do not either. But I do not want to prepare one if it is not necessary.

Thank you to those who posted your help is very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                Son and daughter-in-law (or is it daughter and son-in-law?) will each be contributing half for the down payment. That may or may not be their intent or the intent of the parents.
                Thank you for explaining that. I had not taken that into consideration and I will tell my clients to think about that before giving the money.

Comment

They can always make it (or a part of it) a loan, legitimately, with interest and a signed promissory note, and periodically forgive the principal.

Comment

Burke, that's a fantastic idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X