Can I amend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I amend?

2012, I "179 deducted" as much as I could to get the refund. Now I've noticed that the software didn't work quite right, partly my mistake, but one asset's depreciation was not added to the total of depreciation. If this amount was in the depreciation, I would not have had to "179" quite as much. Can I amend the 2012 return, change the "179" amount, add in the depreciation that was left off? By not taking off as much "179" in 2012, the asset will have more recovery balance and more depreciation for 2013. Just amending to add in the forgotton depreciation will not help the taxpayer, as we had figured the 179 pretty close.

Sure

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    2012, I "179 deducted" as much as I could to get the refund. Now I've noticed that the software didn't work quite right, partly my mistake, but one asset's depreciation was not added to the total of depreciation. If this amount was in the depreciation, I would not have had to "179" quite as much. Can I amend the 2012 return, change the "179" amount, add in the depreciation that was left off? By not taking off as much "179" in 2012, the asset will have more recovery balance and more depreciation for 2013. Just amending to add in the forgotton depreciation will not help the taxpayer, as we had figured the 179 pretty close.
    Yes, I don't see why not. You go, girl.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Don't Change Election

Always believed with respect to depreciation you can amend to correct a mistake, but not to change a prior year election.

I would try amending and hope it is not perceived as an attempt to change an election. Defining the amount taken as s.179
      could be thought of as an election but could also be a mistake.

Comment

Working...
      X