Artists and Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artists and Artists

Would a "paintbrush and palette" artist qualify as a "performing artist" for purposes of taking an
    adjustment on Line 24 on Form 1040?

I don't see how, but thought I would ask anyway...

Maybe if they created their art while others paid to watch them do it.

Here's an interesting article. It's from 2010, and isn't from an official or authoritative source, but the writer seems to know what he is talking about. It might be a good starting point for further research, although it seems that the tax savings for someone earning under $16,000 would hardly justify the tax preparation fees.

Last edited by JohnH; 05-26-2014, 11:35 AM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Waste of Print

What a waste of time for performing artists and the IRS itself. Not worth the print expended on it. About as relevant as the Schedule R (old age credit), which I suppose is still around for some unexplained reason...

Thanks, John H.

Comment

I looked into it many years ago when I started doing tax work for a friend who is a traveling musician. Quickly realized it's a waste of effort and discarded it, but couldn't remember why when I first saw your post. Had to refresh my memory. As you said, it's an ancient and out of date concept, for the most part.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

A painter is a "creative artist," not a "performing artist." The latter are singers. actors, dancers, musicians and the like.

The restrictions on that deduction are extremely limited, as you seem to have discovered.
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

Hard to see benefit

Not that it's worth the time thinking about it, but I'm having a hard time construing a situation
            where qualifying for the adjustment would do any good.

Given the high standard deduction these days, the high exemption value for dependents, a
            qualifying artist would have to be on the upper end of the $16K to overcome a zero tax. Zero
            tax means an "adjustment" is next to worthless.

In fact, a taxpayer in this situation may receive a lower EIC by even reporting the adjustment.

Possible benefit I suppose if the performing artist is married...

Shows how a tax law can be compared to a "vestigial organ" if there is no political pressure to change
            it, and it is not indexed for inflation.

Comment

Short and Long of it

Your painter is not a performing artist. I have had one or two people who did save taxes due to the performing artist deduction.

Comment

Working...
              X