Getting Transcripts Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Transcripts Online

I have entered all my info to create an account in order to have access to the transcripts. After going through the whole process (confirmation code and answering questions) I clicked on continue and nothing happened except it took me to the page where I could either sign in with ID or create an account again. Has anyone encountered this problem? Also, I found it strange (although I should know better with the IRS tricks) that it was optional to enter my phone # (I didn't enter it) and then one of the multiple choice questions was clicking on my correct phone number.
    Any thoughts on my problem with getting an account #? I didn't see anywhere where I could contact someone at the IRS for my problem. Thanks for any help!

Transcripts

Are you trying to get your own transcript or a clients? I have used it several times with the client sitting with me. It has worked about half the time because the client was unable to answer the questions. I know to obtain a clients you must have a 2848 on file.

Comment

Getting my transcript

I am trying to get my transcript. I am just trying to set it up to see how it works. I tried again this morning and now it says it is locked because I entered info that was incorrect from my tax return. The only questions they asked me at that time were questions having nothing to do with my return, such as how long did I own my home, something about my credit report (is perfect), my mortgage payments (haven't had a morgage payment in 15 yrs) etc. It looks like this they are asking for info for advertising purposes not about my return.

Comment

Information requested

The information that they request you to verify has nothing to do with advertising and everything to do with trying to guarantee you are who you pretend to be. The computer picks information from the known credit bureaus to use as questions. The questions are supposed to be so obscure no one but you can know or guess the answers. It sounds like you accidentally entered an incorrect filing status or AGI at the start of the process. It is my understanding that it will take a phone call to unlock that account.
        This really is all about identify protection. If you or one of your clients have not been touched by this problem you will be very soon. It is everywhere and getting worse by the minute.
        AJ, EA

Comment

Telephone Number

I tried to find the phone number but didn't locate any. Do you know what it would be or would I just call the general IRS number? Thanks

Comment

Answering their questions

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
            The information that they request you to verify has nothing to do with advertising and everything to do with trying to guarantee you are who you pretend to be. The computer picks information from the known credit bureaus to use as questions. The questions are supposed to be so obscure no one but you can know or guess the answers. It sounds like you accidentally entered an incorrect filing status or AGI at the start of the process. It is my understanding that it will take a phone call to unlock that account.
            This really is all about identify protection. If you or one of your clients have not been touched by this problem you will be very soon. It is everywhere and getting worse by the minute.
            As AJ noted, those are qualifying questions. I ran into similar issues recently when trying to establish an online Soc Sec account for myself. Yes, some of the questions can be viewed as "tricky," to include the correct answer of "none of the above." A couple of misses locks you out for 24 hours....a couple more misses locks you out for a minimum of one month.

The problem was solved when I contacted a phone rep who unlocked/erased my prior tries, and he told me first to get a "free" credit report....using Experian....as that is where the security questions originated. I did that, and "passed" on the next attempt. And the credit report even showed a recent "soft" credit check by the Soc Sec Admin!! It is quite probable (likely?) you are facing the same questions.

FE

Comment

If they say you are locked out due to entering incorrect info, just wait 24 hours and try again, but of course make very sure the info you enter is correct. If you totally know the info is correct and they say it is not, I would suspect ID theft and that the person who stole your identity filed a change of address or something like that. In that case, I would call the fraud & ID theft dept at 1-800-908-4490, ext 245.

Comment

Nice to know the IRS

Is so worried about protecting our personal information. Not that it did much good for over 600,000 returns filed in 2013 using stolen id. I suspect more than that in 2014.

Good article from USA today.

Comment

Working...
                X