U.S.-Austraillan (Totalization) agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S.-Austraillan (Totalization) agreement

TP is US citizen & Australian resident. Social Security says TP is exempt from SS as self-employed individual under section 1401(c) as of 6/1/2006. Does TP need to file amended US tax returns for SS paid in those years or can TP make a claim to SS for refund?

Bump

Anybody? Got any ideas? Where can I research this?

Comment

Perhaps if you re-wrote the message, making it more clear, you would get some helpful responses. As for me, I don't have a clue what you were saying ... or what you were asking.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

From a tax standpoint, if the taxpayer paid self employment taxes, I would think the only way to get it back is to amend the tax returns. Unfortunately, you would be stuck with only getting refunds for the last 3 years.

If the person was an employee, then Form 843 could be used, but that doesn't seem usable for self employment tax.

However, maybe they could contact the Social Security Administration to see if they have other ways to get it refunded.

This page displays links to a variety of information about the U.S. social security agreement program.

Comment

Working...
        X