Amending a Tax Return Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending a Tax Return Rules

Can a Form 1040 tax return that was filed more than three years ago still be amended if a taxpayer is on an installment agreement for that tax year and has not finished paying off the balance due?

Amended Return

There is no statute of limitation on amending a return, only on obtaining a refund.

Comment

But... Correct me if I am wrong...

The Statue also states that the account remains open for two years from the activity on the account.
      With payments being made that would keep the account open. I believe that replies if there's a refund do.
      See my next post!!
      Matthew Jones
      Tax Preparation
      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
      Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by Tax Sleuth View Post
        Can a Form 1040 tax return that was filed more than three years ago still be amended if a taxpayer is on an installment agreement for that tax year and has not finished paying off the balance due?
        Let me offer a suggestion - you can do an amended return but I think you might have better success in a quicker time frame if you submitted a request for audit reconsideration (IRM ยง4.13). You seemingly meet the crteria - an assessment of tax has been made and it has an outstanding balance. The advantage of audit reconsideration is that there are units dedicated to this request - you can also look at IRS publication 3598.

Comment

Working...
        X