Extension - efile and mailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension - efile and mailed

I'm getting ready to do an extension, to be mailed with a check. can I also efile it? We're going to be running pretty close on the mailing date, and if the route carrier is late and doesn't get postmarked on the day, I wanted to make sure the extension was made before the 15th. Can I, should I?

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    I'm getting ready to do an extension, to be mailed with a check. can I also efile it? We're going to be running pretty close on the mailing date, and if the route carrier is late and doesn't get postmarked on the day, I wanted to make sure the extension was made before the 15th. Can I, should I?
    Yes. From the 4868 instructions:

Note.
    If you e-file Form 4868 and mail a check or money order to the IRS for payment, use a completed paper Form 4868 as a voucher.

Comment

good, thanks

Comment

Why use a check

Since I assume (hope) you are already efiling the Form 4868. why not just establish a direct debit via Form 8878 ? Your tax software should take you through the procedure with ease.

No worry about trip to post office, late arrival, getting lost in mail, or whatever.

BTW: What IS a check ? ? ?

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          ...BTW: What IS a check ? ? ?

FE
          Puullleeeaaazzzeee! Point taken! Taken; I say! I yield and herewith stipulate that there is no other God but electrons in this world or any other. Further, that you and everything else is up-to-date in both Kansas City and Old North State.

P.S. A check is (or once was) an order written on paper (see trees: product of) directing a bank to pay money to someone. Though paper checks are rapidly being replaced by electronic debits, the powers-that-be still haven't quite figured out how to make those electrons do the same job that Charmin currently, although quaintly, handles. Maybe let them know if you think of anything.

Comment

Well, I like forcing the client

Well, we all know the clients who are getting extensions and owing on April 15 are among the most responsible people on earth. So I like letting them feel in control by having them write a check and mail it. Cause you know they enjoy being responsible for their own destiny. I look at it sort of like being a parent, sure I can wash dishes better, but they need to do a little something here. Look at this kitchen. I also like not spending time entering bank numbers and triple checking them when I can do other things. Or nothing.
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Being responsible

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
              Well, we all know the clients who are getting extensions and owing on April 15 are among the most responsible people on earth. So I like letting them feel in control by having them write a check and mail it. Cause you know they enjoy being responsible for their own destiny. I look at it sort of like being a parent, sure I can wash dishes better, but they need to do a little something here. Look at this kitchen. I also like not spending time entering bank numbers and triple checking them when I can do other things. Or nothing.
              Lord have mercy....some doggone thin skins this morning.

What in the heck does "responsible" have to do with anything? I consider myself fairly "responsible" (depends upon whom you ask, at times) and I prefer to control my own destiny by NOT having to worry about a check being lost in the mail, by NOT having to worry about some IRS clerk on the other side of the country keying in my check/coupon, by NOT having to drive to a mail box/post office (I'm certain that a "responsible" person would never leave a check in a home, streetside mailbox for the mailman to pick up - ID theft and all - correct??) to post the check, and by NOT having to wonder when/if my extension payment was posted to my tax account.

As for the parenting: Actually, I think it is important to steer "my children" in the right direction. Things those youngsters have balked at over the years involve organizing data better, keeping those receipts/records for contributions and business travel, considering estimated payments when needed, making timing decisions for income/deductions, and even putting up with that new-fangled thing called electronic filing. Heck, I remember when my ("responsible" ??) boss at Block would not allow a computer, of any type, within the office. However, she did, eventually, have to change her overall parenting skills regarding that doctrine. All in all, I feel "my children" have done quite well with my parenting over the years and, for the most part, have turned into "responsible" clients.

And about the "not spending time" comment: I could have started/reviewed/finished/received notification of IRS acceptance of an online Form 4868, with a payment authorization, in less time than in took you to read this email. R E A L L Y ???

I do like Black Bart's comment re the Charmin' . Kudos !!

Oh well, I guess there is a user group out there somewhere that enjoys VCR tapes, insists on landlines and dial-up, and uses rabbit ears to watch TV on a set the size of a small Buick. But they probably are quite "responsible."

Life goes on.

PEACE.

FE

Comment

Whoa there

My skin is thick enough, I just prefer using Charmin on my own skin and not my clients'. If they want me to do the extra work (required by ME, not them), to initiate the direct debit, I will. Free gratis, of course. I just don't push the issue and increase my workload and responsibility unnecessarily. I like doing it that way. Don't see any reason to be disagreeable. Wasn't trying to convert anybody.

And I actually prefer to read posts (or emails) more than I like to "start/review/finish/receive notification of IRS acceptance of an online Form 4868, with a payment authorization". I'm pretty wild.
                Last edited by RitaB; 04-12-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

RitaB, your litterbox is full. Must be all the fan PMs you are getting.

Comment

Hahahahaha

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                    RitaB, your litterbox is full. Must be all the fan PMs you are getting.
                    True. Let's go with that.

Comment

While we are on extensions, can you please tell me why someone has to sign to efile an extension, and does not to send in a paper one?

Comment

Working...
                      X