Depreciation after increase in biz use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation after increase in biz use

Another depreciation issue: Asset was used 25% for biz for some years and 8 year depreciation ran out in 2010. Now, in 2012, asset is used 50% for, which leaves 25% of depreciation unclaimed. Is it a change in accounting methods if I catch up for that year? Is client out of luck and this will be accounted for when asset is sold (if asset is sold)?

I don't think so. I would put it into use @50% effective this year, then list all the prior depreciation taken to account for it so that it is not taken again.

Comment

Thanks, Burke, this is what I did. Let's look at numbers to eliminate misunderstandings.

Asset, 7yr, bought for 2,000 - 25% = 500 depreciation (total for 8 years)

Year 10 biz - 50% = 1,000 total depreciation but since this is beyond 8 years, what do I do with 500 not claimed (and not allowable, either because of lower biz use or because or "time is up")?

It's easy enough to overwrite depreciation in software but I am not sure I am allowed to claim this depreciation.

Comment

I too don't know whether the IRS would accept this but if client agrees it is worth trying I would subtract the prior depreciation or 25% of the basis (whichever is higher) from the basis and set up new depreciation for a used asset at 50% of the new basis. Since the old basis/asset is already zeroed out you can take it out of service and put it back in as the used asset.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          Thanks, Burke, this is what I did. Let's look at numbers to eliminate misunderstandings.

Asset, 7yr, bought for 2,000 - 25% = 500 depreciation (total for 8 years)

Year 10 biz - 50% = 1,000 total depreciation but since this is beyond 8 years, what do I do with 500 not claimed (and not allowable, either because of lower biz use or because or "time is up")?

It's easy enough to overwrite depreciation in software but I am not sure I am allowed to claim this depreciation.

Not exactly following this.

Asset is placed in service in 2013 @ 50% of $2,000 orig cost. Depreciable basis = $1,000. Depreciation calculated as 7-yr asset. Prior depr of $500 is entered as already taken as it was claimed, was it not? So, remaining basis is $1,000 less $500, less this year's depreciation. If I am reading taxea's post correctly, you could also just subtract $500 from the $1,000 and start with $500 basis in 2013, over 7 yrs.
          Last edited by Burke; 04-10-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

That is an interesting idea, reasoning being that 25% of asset is now converted from personal to biz use, right? I think just showing 25% ($500) as new asset will keep things clearer and good notes of what happened. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X