How is everyone doing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
    I think eliminating the EIC clients is an excellent move.
    I've started going that way myself. New clients with any potential EIC get a high price quote. I can tell now by looking at their income if they are headed that way or looking at previous year return. Majority will not pay my price. It has eliminated the worry I've had for awhile with EIC clients. I was reading about the possibly of expanding EIC and doubling the penalty on tax preparers. So it just isn't worth it. I too would rather work on high income, complicated, returns than quickies.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
      I've started going that way myself. New clients with any potential EIC get a high price quote. I can tell now by looking at their income if they are headed that way or looking at previous year return. Majority will not pay my price. It has eliminated the worry I've had for awhile with EIC clients. I was reading about the possibly of expanding EIC and doubling the penalty on tax preparers. So it just isn't worth it. I too would rather work on high income, complicated, returns than quickies.
      I only have 2 EIC clients and I've been doing both of their returns for 5+ years and have been to both of their houses and met the dependents. One is a disabled brother of the client. I'd agree though, a new prospective client coming to me that I've never met before and wanting to file an EIC would actually worry me. I did it for another client's brother one year and when he didn't qualify the next year, he walked out without paying or taking his own tax documents.

Comment

So the very real phrase:

"Congratulations! You earned enough money that you don't get a government handout this year"

just didn't sit well with him, did it?
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

1099B's are getting easier and easier. Nearly all short-term transactions are reported to the IRS. And many of the long-term ones. Only the non-reported go on 8948 and I lump.
          The problem is finding all these categories! Some don't post the Total Sales on the front page of the 1099 any more. I am having to be really careful to page through everything to catch all of them. Most are listing S/T and L/T non-reported WITH basis. And then another 2 categories of reported WITHOUT basis. And then 2 more categories of reported S/T & LT.
          Last edited by Burke; 04-10-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Not a big problem

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
            I only have 2 EIC clients and I've been doing both of their returns for 5+ years and have been to both of their houses and met the dependents. One is a disabled brother of the client. I'd agree though, a new prospective client coming to me that I've never met before and wanting to file an EIC would actually worry me. I did it for another client's brother one year and when he didn't qualify the next year, he walked out without paying or taking his own tax documents.
            I have had good results with EIC clients this year. I raised my price on EIC returns to $500-650. This chased a number away, almost all who seemed reluctant about documentation. Then I made the client responsible for bringing the required documentation. If there is any doubt, I send a clerk with camera to the home to take photographs. This normally does not take long and is easily covered by the fee.
            Christopher Mewhort, EA
            mewhorttax.com

Comment

Down to 3

I'm down to my last 3 returns...thanks goodness. Quit taking EIC clients as of last year (never had very many anyway) other than if one of my regular clients happens to have an "off" year and fall into the EIC bucket...only happens to about one client each year. Best thing I ever did. I love tax but will be relieved when this season is officially over.

Saying a prayer for smooth sailing for the next couple of days.

Mo

Comment

This has been the least stressful tax season evah. I'm pretty pleased that I have only about 7 on extension and have been calling people today to get their 8879 forms back ASAP.

Pretty tired and ready for some root beer, popcorn, jammies and Westerns all day on the couch come 04/16.

Then, I'll be making adjusting journal entries to close out 2012, closing books for the 1st quarter, preparing 1st quarter payroll tax forms, preparing monthly sales tax returns, blah blah blah.....

But April 16th belongs to me and John Wayne

Comment

I'm dead.

Originally posted by BOB W
                  How is everyone doing?

...All are late comers...

Guy came in Saturday -- very good client, but had already given up and thought he'd left for good. Tough case and usually takes a week, but he did not want an extension. Hmmm...lemme think it over I say -- $1,500 and exhaustion or zero....$$$ or nothing...what to do...what to do? Okay, greed wins out - I say okay. Finished it five minutes ago after a back-to-back all-nighter and all-day -- hitting the sack after soup and a sandwich.

What a life! And I just knew Pop's advice about law school was for the birds. What did he know?

Comment

AHA! That is why my income is down this season! lol......

Originally posted by Golden Rocket View Post
                    I've had a problem, not with latecomers to file, but with stupid questions that the clients actually think I will have time to research before the 15th.

Everything from how to claim on W-4s to making a copy of Sch C (from the return I just sent them all paperwork) to send to his insurance company.
                    Telling someone what to do on W-4s is like trying to predict the future.

"
                    No wonder why I never seemed to have enough time this tax season for anything else! lol I always help out my clients with tax planning after I give them their results. They constantly ask me what to claim for the "next go round" and I never consider it a stupid question or predicting the future. We look at their situation and plan as accurately as possible. I'm actually pretty proud to say that often we can get it as close as a hundred bucks here or there within breaking even if that is what they are shooting for.

Maybe some day I should charge for this service??

I must admit I cannot wait until the end of the day tomorrow, this was my most exhausting season ever.......

~Becky

Comment

Tired of being the messenger with a target on my back. I am glad for today to be over. I guess I need thicker skin.... Okay, I am done whining. Thanks to the many of you who helped me so graciously and knowledgeably this year. It is great to have a sounding board, as well as so many intelligent preparers here. You are truly wonderful.

Comment

I've had a few things come up this tax season that makes me want to quit. I hate to say this... I can do the tax returns but the interaction with people is getting bad. There are so many new people moving in where I live. I am not use to being around such aggressive and blunt people. Then there are those I have known for 20 years that suddenly take an about face all over money.

Had so much stress, it has made me about sick, worrying so much. I was talking to a friend the other day and they told to stop letting people tell me their sob stories. That I am not going to make it much longer listening to them talk so much.

Just tired I guess.

Comment

We Are Done

We closed at 5 pm. Everyone that was going to come in made it before we closed. We have a few dozen extensions, but that will keep us busy inbetween our monthly stuff.

Good luck to all.

Kerrie

Comment

The wind-up --- down.....

I have a few returns left. What I am doing here, writing this.. No clue!!
                            Mostly small stuff. but I will have to put in 2 last minute extensions.

Maybe tomorrow we can share some stories!!
                            Matthew Jones
                            Tax Preparation
                            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
                            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Done!

Just finished up with a client who didn't come in last year and waited until today to call and see if they could get both done tonight, besides the one I had already scheduled. Only 1 on extensions.

So, 3 returns and 2 pickups tonight after working 8 hours at the other job. This guy is ready for bed.

Always glad to get started in January and MORE than ready to be done April 15th!

Comment

Finito!

All filed and 21 extensions filed. I could just scream for joy. I have not enjoyed this season much, so I told my wife I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted off me. What a relief!

I feel like the person that posted earlier about retiring. That sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                                X