Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm sticking with them

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
    Doing a project like the one I did makes me appreciate the upgrades quite a bit! I'm doing a bunch of last minute 2010 amends, and I'm appreciating the new print manager quite a bit now.
    I gotta work with print manager and the letters if I live thru the next week. Maribeth, and everybody, we really would love to see you on ATX Unofficial Forum. Don't let the name fool you, we have no standards over there.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
      They may have changed how the NOLs are reported. Two years ago I refigured NOLs back from inception (2005) since I didn't believe the clients TurboTax generated numbers and everything I researched led me to put the full NOL on line 21. And it calcs automatically after using the worksheet, so I'm not complaining. Only have done one so far this year, and it works pretty sweet in ATX.
      It only makes sense to show it all on there. Especially if someone new picks up the return. As in my case, if it had not been on there in 2012, I would not have been alerted to the C/F at all, except for that year's NOL. Which was much, much less than the entire amount he was entitled to c/f, since the prior preparer did not furnish any of the worksheets to the TP.

Comment

Yeah, there's that

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        It only makes sense to show it all on there. Especially if someone new picks up the return. As in my case, if it had not been on there in 2012, I would not have been alerted to the C/F at all, except for that year's NOL. Which was much, much less than the entire amount he was entitled to c/f, since the prior preparer did not furnish any of the worksheets to the TP.
        Well, I do see your point. I always attach every worksheet and depreciation schedule to client copy, but not everybody does. (Not stupid stuff like page showing W-2 info. Hello, they can look at the W-2. I really hate sifting through THAT crap, BTW.)

Comment

Eternal Reporting

I had a situation where a client never had any income. He lived at home with mom and dad and never worked for a W-2, nor anything productive on the farm.

But a relative had given him 50% ownership in a house, which he sold at a loss, so he had a capital loss rollforward every year. The carryforward is not necessarily the
          excess of $3000, but could in some situations be all excess over taxable income (and there never was any).

I told the guy he had a choice:
          1) Not filing because there wasn't sufficient income.
          2) Filing to preserve a capital loss carryforward, so it could be used to offset future income.

For years and years he chose the latter. One year he didn't call for an appointment and I didn't pursue it.

Comment

You got hosed

Originally posted by Golden Rocket View Post
            I had a situation where a client never had income... One year he didn't call for an appointment and I didn't pursue it.
            Bet he fell bass ackwards into the lottery and took his return and oar to Black Bart.

Comment

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
              However, if you read the instructions for puting an NOL on line 21, it indicates that you only put the amount that you are using on that line. Not the entire amount of the NOL c/f, only the amount that is being used in that year. You attach a supporting schedule to the return that shows the total NOL's available and the amounts used in prior years.

So if you are not using any of an NOL c/f in the current year, there should be no amount on line 21.
              I disagree.

IRS Pub 536, page 8 says:

If you carry forward your NOL to a tax year after the NOL year, list your NOL deduction as a negative figure on the “Other income” line of Form 1040 or Form 1040NR (line 21 for 2013).
              No mention of entering only the amount that is actually used for that year.

Likewise, the IRS Form 1040 instructions for line 21 says:

Net operating loss (NOL) deduction.
              Include on line 21 any NOL deduction
              from an earlier year. Subtract it from
              any income on line 21 and enter the result.
              If the result is less than zero, enter
              it in parentheses. On the dotted line next
              to line 21, enter “NOL” and show the
              amount of the deduction in parentheses.
              Again, no mention of entering only the amount that is actually used for that year.

What instructions are you referring to?

Comment

Hmmmm . . . . that is interesting. That's the way I was taught, to make the intervening years calculation and put that amount on line 21. Never questioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                  Tennessee. Can't use it.
                  The state does use it if the state starts with the Fed AGI
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                    2013 Farm Loss 8,000, interest income 200.

Unused NOL carried forward from 2012 5,000.

Unused NOL carried forward from 2011 4,000.

I have -9,000 on line 21. And -16,800 on line 22.

No, they don't need to carryback. Yes, I made up the numbers. Yes, they still have $17,000 to carry into eternity. I just started thinking isn't it unnecessary to enter the -9,000 on line 21? Things like this bother me, so I am bothering you.
                    I know that you didn't mean eternity....doesn't NOL have a recovery time limit?
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

But thanks anyway

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      The state does use it if the state starts with the Fed AGI
                      It does not, see p. 2: http://tn.gov/revenue/forms/indinc/inc250.pdf

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      I know that you didn't mean eternity
                      Good, I'm glad, cause that was supposed to be in sarcasm font. Or facetious font.
                      Last edited by RitaB; 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X