No w-2 and no 1099 - Schedule C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No w-2 and no 1099 - Schedule C?

Spouse doesn't need to work, but has started helping at a daycare across the street for her home. In 2012 earned less than $400. Not a problem.

This year she tells me she was paid over $2000 working at the daycare. The daycare did not issue a W-2 or a 1099, and didn't really seemed like they want to, from what I hear.

The client doesn't have a problem reporting the income and paying taxes on it. Should it just go to Schedule C so she can pay the SE herself, and let it go? She has no expenses and really hasn't started a business. I cant think it would qualify just as "Other income", avoiding SE taxes. Without the proper reporting by the daycare, what other options are there?

Yes. I have the same situation with a kid who is doing tutoring, they are paying him cash and told him it was non-taxable because it was less than $600. Can't get a 1099 out of 'em. Paying him by the hour. What did you do last year with the "less than $400?" It can still go on Line 21, and a Sche SE completed.
    Last edited by Burke; 04-05-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Schedule C is fine (or Schedule C-EZ).
      There's no requirement to have a 1099 in hand when reporting self employment income. The requirement is to report the income.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Last year

Last year I put the income on to Schedule C, but with the lower amount, it didn't generate an SE tax. Of course, this year it will.

I just wonder what else that daycare is and is not doing properly?

Of course that is not my problem.

Comment

Working...
        X