Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injured Spouse refund?

My client owes 5K if he files MFS.
    His wife gets back $1450 if she files MFS.

If they file MFJ, it will reduce the liability by $360, but they would still OWE.

If we file an Injured Spouse, would wife get any refund at all?

I have done plenty of these to protect her portion of the anticipated REFUND, but never one where there is no refund if they file MFJ.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

using the MFJ return figure the percentage to total income for each. Multiply the refund by the wife's percentage of income and it will give you the amount of her refund.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

No refund

So, if the MFJ return is not getting a refund, then the injured spouse will not get a refund.

I'll file them separately so she can get her ca$h.

thanks!
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

you can use the same calculation to figure her portion of tax due or override the entries that are hers so they only reflect his income/deductions and it will show you what portion he is responsible for. Print return as a reference then unoverride the lines and you can easily see the differences. And yes, if there is no refund then there is no refund...but will now be able to determine the amount of tax she is responsible for.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X