I am sure I am missing something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure I am missing something

I have a retired client that pulled out his investment money from a home sale several years ago. They had been renting, and now have pulled the money out of his investment fund to purchase a home. They will owe about 20K between state and federal for this. Is there anything I am missing? Anything they can do to avoid the gain? They receive about 10K from their pension, and 33K from SS. They pulled out 77K from their IRA for the home purchase.

Assuming it was a traditional, deductible IRA and not a ROTH, its all taxable. Also assuming he is over 59 1/2, no penalty for IRA or 401k withdrawal.

Comment

Originally posted by Openfire View Post
      I have a retired client that pulled out his investment money from a home sale several years ago.
      What are you saying here? They sold a home in the past and invested the money somewhere? What kind of investment?
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Sorry! It sounded so clear in my head. He sold his home, and put the money into Pershing for a couple of years. He has now found a home, and pulled the money out of his IRA to purchase the home.
        Last edited by Openfire; 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

He owes the tax. Wonder why he didn't take it out of Pershing?
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Good question. Thank you for your responses. Both of you!

Comment

If he sold the home and then invested the proceeds

it almost assuredly did NOT go into an IRA. Unless the proceeds were less than $5000. Sounds like your client is confused.

Comment

What about the exception to the penalty on IRA withdrawals for first-time (Not owned a principal residence for at least two years) home buyers (TTB 13-3)? That would save the penalty on $10,000 of the withdrawal.

Comment

OP said he was retired. Assume he is already over 59 1/2.

Comment

That is correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X