Partner Basis---Capital Gain on Excess Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partner Basis---Capital Gain on Excess Distributions

Should a partner's medical payments reduce basis?

I'm assuming you mean if a partnership pays medical expenses on behalf of a partner, does that reduce the partner's basis in the partnership? The answer is yes. Anything paid by the partnership on behalf of a partner reduces the partner's basis, whether or not the payment is a tax deduction. Thus, non-deductible expenses paid by the partnership reduce the partner's basis in the partnership even though the partner receives no tax benefit from the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
      I'm assuming you mean if a partnership pays medical expenses on behalf of a partner, does that reduce the partner's basis in the partnership? The answer is yes. Anything paid by the partnership on behalf of a partner reduces the partner's basis, whether or not the payment is a tax deduction. Thus, non-deductible expenses paid by the partnership reduce the partner's basis in the partnership even though the partner receives no tax benefit from the expense.
      Am I correct in understanding that this is true only if the payment in question is not otherwise accounted for as income to the partner (e.g. can be treated as a guaranteed payment, in which case there is no reduction to basis)?
      --
      James C. Samans ("Jamie")

Comment

Originally posted by jsamans View Post
        Am I correct in understanding that this is true only if the payment in question is not otherwise accounted for as income to the partner (e.g. can be treated as a guaranteed payment, in which case there is no reduction to basis)?
        If a distribution is treated as guaranteed payments to the partner, it does not reduce the partner's basis in the partnership.

Comment

Working...
        X