met life cost basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

met life cost basis

I have 3 met life1099 B statements that simply say cost basis is FIFO. What do I report as the cost? Is it 0?

Originally posted by Chief View Post
    I have 3 met life1099 B statements that simply say cost basis is FIFO. What do I report as the cost? Is it 0?
    Sounds like a demutualization insurance product which as of yet is still considered 0 basis by the IRS. Although it is in the courts being challenged. At least that is my guess. (Met Life)

Comment

Here is the IRS position on it - zero basis (are we surprised?)

There has been a case where someone prevailed in assigning cost basis, but I think the recommendation is that you file with zero basis and then immediately file a protective claim to keep the SOL open on the refund if IRS is ever forced to change their mind. Might be worth doing if the amount is large and the potential refund would cover your filing fees plus some significant extra cash to the client. (I'd put that cutoff figure at about a $6,000 selling price - anything under that won't benefit the client very much)

Here's a link to a discussion about the protective claim...
      Two district courts have differing views on tax treatment of gain on sale of stock acquired from demutualization.
      Last edited by JohnH; 03-24-2014, 11:45 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

demtualization

Thanks, John. I agree.

Comment

Working...
        X