ID Theft Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Theft Update

I saw my client on Monday. Before we could finish it a day or two later, she told me she recieved a letter from IRS. It said, we are looking into your return. Clearly someone had tried to file using her SS #. What is interesting is the letter was sent to their address not the phony address on the fraudulent return and her name was listed first rather than he husband's whose is first on the return. Clearly Sam is making some progess fighting ID theft. I am happy becasue now I know I need to file on paper and we can include the Affadavit and ID's with the return.

Could this letter be a scam to gain her information?

Comment

Originally posted by DonB View Post
      Could this letter be a scam to gain her information?
      I agree. Something doesn't sound right.

Beck

Comment

Id theft issues--irs 'pre emptive letter'

I posted this a few days ago on another ID Theft Thread on this forum. Follow up revealed the IRS letter was legit (TP's spoke with IRS personnel based in Austin TX while in our office).

Identity theft-irs 'pre-emptive letter'?
        Anyone have (or had) clients/taxpayers who have received a letter (LTR 4464C) from IRS (Austin Center?) concerning their tax return being pulled for review BEFORE THEY FILED THEIR 2013 TAX RETURN?

Office I am at this year has had 5 "alleged" ID theft situations (about 1% of all returns to date). Latest was a couple whose 2013 taxes were done on a Friday, transmitted and rejected on the next day (Saturday), and on following Monday they (he actually) received a letter from IRS (Austin) listed as letter LTR 4464C and dated 3 days before their appointment with us. Letter says their return is getting a "thorough review of your return information. This review is part of an ongoing program the IRS conducts to ensure the accuracy of return information." Letter was mailed to their home. Letter does not include a copy of the return or indicate a filing status, and no such letter was sent to the wife ("traditional marriage"). Letter goes on to list 4 items being reviewed. A fair conclusion is that someone filed a return in H's name with some schedule C items and/or high withholding. This appears to be an ID Theft issue.

(Yes, ID Theft Affidavit form 14039 was prepared and filed with paper copy of return mailed to the applicable processing center; also 14039 for the wife).

Curious to know if others have had clients with simliar letters. I know there are IRS agents/RO's/etc reading this forum, and hope thay might break tradition and actually respond with some useful information on this.

BTW, we also have had two different clients, one new, one returning, with altered W-2's: B copy withholding was altered but not the other copies (1, 2, C etc). One was an ADP prepared W-2, other prepared by the employer (legit employers both).
        Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Working...
        X