Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had any Drake Software Efile problems??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first year with drake, too

This is my first year with drake also. I had used Crosslink for the prior 14 years. I am still on the fence about Drake. The efiling process does seem to be more difficult, but, then again, I opted do each step individually. Maybe next year I will opt to combine the efiling process in the setup menu.

As for keeping track of efiles, I go into the CSM, sort all returns by Fed ack code - look for the A's, R's, P's, then sort all by state ack code and check those. Once a week or so, I will print out a report showing all returns that have been calculated but not yet efiled and then I compare the report to all files that I am still working on, or are pending signatures and pickup. Every year, I will catch at least one return that was somehow not transmitted.

As for the online EF database - I don't "get it." Drake users will mention, "look on the online database for missing ack files." Why should there ever be a discrepancy between what I show in my system and what the online database shows? Also, Drake users will mention something about having tech support "rehang" acks - why? How common are those problems?

I have not had any issues with efiles getting lost during transmission and no acks have been missing in action. Knock on wood.... .

Comment

With Drake e-file you have to make sure that you process the acks. There is a notification in the window but it is easy to overlook when you are busy. If you fail to process the acks your CSM and online Efile database will be out of sync! Make it a habit to print the online database report once a week and reconcile any changes. The online database is the most accurate way to tell status of a return.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Maybe this will help

The first year I used Drake (2011 taxes), I wondered why I would see a client in the EF Return selector AFTER I had e-filed it. Drake explained it this way to me. When you "look" at a client after it is e-filed and you click on "calculate" or "view" - Drake makes a PRINT file - then puts it in EF ready.

To get rid of it in EF Return Selector: Go to Tools-File Maintenance-Delete PRINT Files-Select client-Click on Delete.

When I efile a return, I'll leave the efile transmission window open while I'm filing my papers, then click on Send/Receive. Exit.
        Go to EF, Process Acks.
        And I will have the "A" Acknowledgement that IRS accepted the file. (I don't print any of these transmissions, and I have never gone into the Drake online data base in 3 years.)

After it I get the big A for Accepted, I do this:
        Print the preparer copy of the tax return to Drake Drake Document Manager.
        Form 9325 is in my preparer set and it has the date the return was Accepted by IRS and submission ID.
        Delete the print file.
        Anytme I "look" at client after this, I look at it in DDM.

Works perfectly!

Comment

Drake E-file system

As much as I did not like Drake's e-file "system" the "double" entry or selection process gives the opportunity to mentally review returns selected for e-file and, in at least two occasions every tax fiiling season, stop a return from being transmitted due to one or more issues which I needed to address.

If the system doesn't work for you, get different software.

As far as spreadsheets you have to make I am not aware of doing that. Haven't done that. Don't plan to do that. Some other posts have suggested different methods of keeping track: in mutli-preparer offices perhaps something akin to a spreadsheet is necessary to keep track, but the CM can do that relatively easily.
          Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Working...
          X