Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Dependent 27 year old daughter medical deductible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Dependent 27 year old daughter medical deductible?

I have a client who has a 27 year old daughter who is married with 2 children who had to have surgery & dental work of almost $8,000. She does not live with him, her dad.

Would the medical & dental expense paid by Dad be deductible?

I would so very much appreciate your info on this subject. mikeburg

Originally posted by mikeburg View Post
    I have a client who has a 27 year old daughter who is married with 2 children who had to have surgery & dental work of almost $8,000. She does not live with him, her dad.

Would the medical & dental expense paid by Dad be deductible?

I would so very much appreciate your info on this subject. mikeburg
    IRC ยง213
    (a) Allowance of deduction

There shall be allowed as a deduction the expenses paid during the taxable year, not compensated for by insurance or otherwise, for medical care of the taxpayer, his spouse, or a dependent (as defined in section 152, determined without regard to subsections (b)(1), (b)(2), and (d)(1)(B) thereof), to the extent that such expenses exceed 10 percent of adjusted gross income.

It appears unlikely from your post that the daughter is a dependent, thus the answer is NO.

Comment

Next time the parents should gift the money to her, then have her pay it directly, then maybe she can deduct it.

Comment

Obamacare Fallout

This kind of misinformation is caused by the Obamacare provision that allows parents to claim the children up to age 27 on their family policies.

As a result, people now think they can claim their children as a tax deduction. But the tax laws did not change to accommodate that thinking.

The real impact of the provision was to give the insurance industry 1.5 million new customers who are mostly healthy and young. A windfall beyond
        their wildest dreams.

Comment

couldn't it still be considered a gift?

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
          Next time the parents should gift the money to her, then have her pay it directly, then maybe she can deduct it.
          I agree the dad cannot claim as medical expense on his tax return. But why can't the daughter deduct the medical expense. If dad paid it to the provider for the daughter as a gift for her since she couldn't afford her medical expense.

Comment

Hey, maybe dad can deduct. Read 4-4, especially Did You Know? and the Example about Alex is age 27....

Comment

Working...
            X