Depreciation and changing biz use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation and changing biz use

Truck not subject to Sec. 280F limitation is normally used 100% for biz. However, last year it was only used 70% for biz, which yielded a small depreciation deduction. This year it is back to 100% biz use, now ProSeries is catching up. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Is ProSeries wrong?

I am always confused at this subject, where can I find more information on this.

Catching up?

(1) Why isn't it subject to the limitations? Is it something other than a passenger automobile, light truck, or van?

(2) What do you mean by catching up? Is Proseries taking depreciation for the current year plus an amount for the previous year??

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

1. Heavy truck over 6,000 pounds

2. Yes, current year depreciation of about $1,600 plus about $1,000 more.

I did a number of calculations yesterday and I found out what is happening. The remaining basis at 100% biz use is distributed over the remaining asset life.

I am still puzzled that an asset (and it really does not matter if vehicle or not) will be written off 100% in the end if biz use is 100% in the end. Any calculation for a lower % of biz use are disregarded.

Comment

Working...
      X