Amended return for injured spouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amended return for injured spouse?

This is not the time of year that any one of us wants to be dealing with amended returns, and I will likely postpone this until after the 15th, but I wanted to throw this question out there for those of you that might be able to answer it. I have a client whom I filed taxes for last season as MFJ (first time clients). Little did I know that the wife had some old debts with the social security admin (social security disability I guess?) and that they ended up taking all of the $2,600 federal and $450 state refunds. This was their first year of marriage. The husband tells me about what happened and that he'd like to file injured spouse amended returns to try and get some of his money back. Has anyone ever tried this and has it worked?

Thanks!
    Becky

The form can be filed by itself without amending the return.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
      The form can be filed by itself without amending the return.
      Yes ... and I would guess it could be done in less than 5 minutes as you would already have all of the information.

Comment

Thanks!!

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
        Yes ... and I would guess it could be done in less than 5 minutes as you would already have all of the information.
        Talk about keeping it simple.......sheesh! I never really looked at the form that closely in 10 years, but just did now. I see that you enter for which year you are filing the form; seems silly I didn't realize that before....lol. Sometimes things are right in front of our faces. I had to look it up, but now I see you just send it right to the same address as the 1040 would have been mailed to. Fingers crossed this helps them out, they really need the money. The wife is awaiting her second kidney......

Comment

Working...
        X