Quickbooks Payroll for Accountants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks Payroll for Accountants

Just brainstorming. I am a proadvisor with the enhanced subscription for accountants. Was just thinking about how all these banks are offering payroll and how people like me can compete. There is integrated payroll for accountants available where the client enters the hours online and I do all the work, that service is through intuit and is fairly pricey. Was thinking how I could do the payroll and update their QuickBooks while they are still able to use it. My best idea so far is to do all the payroll in my system and do journal entries every quarter or something in their system. Anyone out there with QuickBooks that has thought about this? I'm told I can use dropbox and back up and client restore, but I don't think that's a good option, maybe I'm wrong, anyone doing that?

Quickbooks

Intuit offers a couple different products that allow you to work on your client's file, and then merge it into the file on the client's computer, while tracking the identity of the person who made the changes (i.e., the client or the accountant).

I am not referring to "Quickbooks Online." That is certainly an option, but it's a different concept. With Quickbooks Online, the Quickbooks software itself resides in the cloud, and not on your computer or your client's computer.

Quickbooks Accountant 2014 Plus includes a feature called "Accountants Copy File Transfer Service." According to their website, it allows you "seamlessly exchange the Accountant's Copy between you and your clients through Intuit's firewall protected servers." This is not Quickbooks Online. It is something else. With this option, you are still have Quickbooks installed on your PC, and so does your client.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
      Intuit offers a couple different products that allow you to work on your client's file, and then merge it into the file on the client's computer, while tracking the identity of the person who made the changes (i.e., the client or the accountant).

I am not referring to "Quickbooks Online." That is certainly an option, but it's a different concept. With Quickbooks Online, the Quickbooks software itself resides in the cloud, and not on your computer or your client's computer.

Quickbooks Accountant 2014 Plus includes a feature called "Accountants Copy File Transfer Service." According to their website, it allows you "seamlessly exchange the Accountant's Copy between you and your clients through Intuit's firewall protected servers." This is not Quickbooks Online. It is something else. With this option, you are still have Quickbooks installed on your PC, and so does your client.

BMK
      I have that accountants copy 2014 and am familiar with that file transfer service that is offered to ProAdvisor's at no cost. However, the accountant's copy doesn't allow payroll, and even if it did, you must enter a dividing date, so that's not a good option. I can do backup and restore and use that file transfer service, but clients usually aren't that computer savvy, nor do they want MORE headache, and I'm thinking they would end up losing information because they 'forgot' to restore. The more I think, the more I'm thinking that processing on my computer and making journal entries every quarter or something at their place of business is the best option. I could give them a report weekly showing them the payroll costs and liabilities associated with that payroll. Still thinking. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
        I have that accountants copy 2014 and am familiar with that file transfer service that is offered to ProAdvisor's at no cost. However, the accountant's copy doesn't allow payroll, and even if it did, you must enter a dividing date, so that's not a good option. I can do backup and restore and use that file transfer service, but clients usually aren't that computer savvy, nor do they want MORE headache, and I'm thinking they would end up losing information because they 'forgot' to restore. The more I think, the more I'm thinking that processing on my computer and making journal entries every quarter or something at their place of business is the best option. I could give them a report weekly showing them the payroll costs and liabilities associated with that payroll. Still thinking. Thanks!
        At the moment, I do not have any clients with QuickBooks online.

Comment

I'm still trying to find out, anyone know the bank's pricing structure on all this payroll? I'm sure I will be competitive, but want to be sure before I provide a quote, I won't feel the need to be 'as cheap as possible' if I know there is plenty of cushion room to be competitive.

Comment

I don't know how anyone does payroll anymore. There are too many factors that affect payroll such as 401(k), Section 125 plan, FSA, garnishments, fringe addback, disability insurance, and more. Records have to be kept to determine ACA affordability which will get reported on W-2s and more. Payroll is a hub and there are just too many spokes from my liking.

I tip my hat to those who do it but, for me, it's fraught with danger and too many things that can go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
              I don't know how anyone does payroll anymore. There are too many factors that affect payroll such as 401(k), Section 125 plan, FSA, garnishments, fringe addback, disability insurance, and more. Records have to be kept to determine ACA affordability which will get reported on W-2s and more. Payroll is a hub and there are just too many spokes from my liking.

I tip my hat to those who do it but, for me, it's fraught with danger and too many things that can go wrong.
              I LOVE payroll, is my favorite part of everything I do. I am familiar with some requirements and don't mind researching and learning, and I thought about getting a payroll certification to add to my certifications. I would take payroll over taxes anyday! Thanks!

Comment

Then, in your case, it's a good thing to do. You enjoy it and you'll be good at it. I'm sure for some it is sheer drudgery done merely as a means to generate income. I would be in the second category which is why I do not do any payroll.

Comment

Why don't you use one of those services that lets you log on to your client's computer and report their payroll in near real time? LogMeIn. Those kinds of apps. No moving files back and forth. No journal entries. Bank account would be accurate concurrently.

Comment

I purchased the QB payroll from mid 2012 thru 2013...NO MORE

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post

I purchased the QB payroll from mid 2012 thru 2013...NO MORE. I will farm payroll out. I have a good business relationship with a personal banker at a local National Bank. I receive quite a few referrals from the personal banker regarding tax clients and P&C insurance. The personal banker is also a client of mine and receives referrals from me regarding personal and business checking accts. I am thinking of adding to that and send the personal banker payroll clients.

Comment

LogMeIn is great. Although no longer free it is a great alternative to going back and forth on files. A majority of my payroll customers have their own file they do there bookkeeping on and I do payroll on a separate one. At the end of the year I will enter in the adjustments. Most do the remote some still do the backup and I give it back to them in a day. Some restore the backup other do not.

I also enjoy payroll. Now what I do is not that complicated... small businesses with 1 to 10 employees. So it is an good extra income earner for me.

I compete on service. I provided my clients great service and they know they can reach out to me anytime. Pricing comes to play but service is also biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                        LogMeIn is great. Although no longer free it is a great alternative to going back and forth on files. A majority of my payroll customers have their own file they do there bookkeeping on and I do payroll on a separate one. At the end of the year I will enter in the adjustments. Most do the remote some still do the backup and I give it back to them in a day. Some restore the backup other do not.

I also enjoy payroll. Now what I do is not that complicated... small businesses with 1 to 10 employees. So it is an good extra income earner for me.

I compete on service. I provided my clients great service and they know they can reach out to me anytime. Pricing comes to play but service is also biggie.
                        LogMeIn is great. Although no longer free

try Team-viewer, it's very good and still free

Comment

Awesome, I will check on those 2. Great ideas! Bless you!

Comment

Working...
                          X