EIC And Military deployment to combat zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIC And Military deployment to combat zone

I posted this as a response to another thread, but I'd really like some guidance on this one:

I have a question regarding EIC and military deployed the entire year, and it is in a combat zone, and the child lives in the US with another family member.... let's say, an aunt.

Military taxpayer still supports the child, and still claims the child for dependency and CTC.

EIC worksheet; "Did the child LIVE WITH YOU in the US for over half the year?"

The child in fact, did not live with the taxpayer for over half the year, knocking the client out of EIC potential.

I am looking for affirmation on this because last year, a VITA volunteer claimed EIC for this client.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Hey, I know one

He's considered to live in the United States for tax purposes, and it's a temporary absence:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p596.pdf, see top of p. 10.
    Last edited by RitaB; 03-03-2014, 03:48 PM.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

If you were any smarter...

... there'd be two of you!
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
      X