Crazy Scenerio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Scenerio

Just thought I'd share this situation as I've never seen anything like it in 20 years of doing taxes. Taxpayer in Military and spent entire calendar year in Afghanistan. So even though over 60,000 of income box 1 is zero. Military issues a W-2 for travel and so he had a small W-2 separate from regular military one with 330 of income on it, which is generating 130 of EIC and then they sold a rental house with over 28,000 in Capital Gains which is allowing 2,000 Additional child tax credit. Crazy and I couldn't believe it when I first saw the results.

I am glad that the soldier is getting an EIC.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

EIC and Military deployed to combat zone

I have a question regarding EIC and military deployed the entire year, and it is in a combat zone, and the child lives in the US with another family member.... let's say, an aunt.

Military taxpayer still supports the child, and still claims the child for dependency and CTC.

EIC worksheet; "Did the child LIVE WITH YOU in the US for over half the year?"

The child in fact, did not live with the taxpayer for over half the year, knocking the client out of EIC potential.

Let's chat..... GO
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
      X