Can Sch C still issue 2013 1099-misc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Sch C still issue 2013 1099-misc?

New Sch C filer paid their 12 yr old child $1K in 2013 and did not issue a 1099-misc. Its my understanding that Copy A (red copy) of the 2013 1099-misc needs to be in the IRS hands no later then Mar 31st, 2014. An 1099-misc vendor told me I can still file a 1099-misc for tax year 2013 thru at least 3rd week of March 2014. Would you suggest the Sch C filer even issue a 1099-misc due to its their child?

Form 1099-MISC

Yes, a 1099-MISC can still be issued and filed with the IRS. Even after March 31, it should still be issued and filed, but there could be a penalty for filing it late.

There's also a penalty for giving it to the payee late. But I don't think the kid is going to call the IRS and complain that his dad gave him the form after the deadline.

Can a 12-year old really be an independent contractor? [LMAO]

Did he set his own hours, and provide his own tools?

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

NO, 1099-misc not app;ropriate in this case. child is an employee of the parent's schedule c business and must be issued a W2 form. Period.

For $ 1,000 the kid would owe se tax also. Whereas as an employee, no fica or medicare tax imposed.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
      X