401K for S Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401K for S Corp

I have a client who contributed 16500 plus the 5500 catch up contributions to his 401K. he Is the 100 percent shareholder in the s corp. his w2 is 90,000 so the s corp's matching contribution for him was 22000. now, the cpa that does his payroll, did not reflect the contribution on his w2. Here is the way I would think I should handle it. Please advise.

His contribution of 16500+5500+=23,000, k1 box 16 as distribution
    then, a deduction of 23,000 on his 1040 line 28(self employed sep, simple, and qualified plans)
    a deduction for the corporation on 1120s line 17 for 22,000 matching contribution

I really think he needs a corrected W-2, with a code D in 12a. Unless he wrote a check to himself and then deposited it into the 401k account. Then I would do it as you say.

Comment

Thanks for the response Burke. as you said, the right way would be to correct the w-2, but I think I need to take the second option. Would the correct entry on k-1 be on box 16 and the code would be C(nondeductible expense)? I have always done this based on the w2 reflecting the amount, which is much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
        Thanks for the response Burke. as you said, the right way would be to correct the w-2, but I think I need to take the second option. Would the correct entry on k-1 be on box 16 and the code would be C(nondeductible expense)? I have always done this based on the w2 reflecting the amount, which is much easier.
        I would do it the right way and have your client get a corrected W-2. You have until next September 15th for an S-corp extension to have the CPA correct his/her mistake. Why are you in a hurry to fill out an incorrect tax return?

Comment

I just asked his payroll person to correct the w-2. so, after the corrected w-2, the rest should stay the same. the matching contribution by the s-corp goes on line 17 of 1120S, and nothing on line 28 of his 1040 since the deduction for his contribution will be reflected on his w-2.

Comment

And the payroll person will do it correctly next year.

Comment

Working...
            X