Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Offers Advice on How to Choose a Tax Preparer

From the article:

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

...the author's comment says:

We find it interesting that on February 11, 2014, the IRS lost its appeal in
    the Loving case where the Circuit Court of Appeals stated the IRS does
    not have the statutory authority to license and regulate tax preparers or
    require them to obtain continuing education, then eight days later, the IRS
    releases this list telling taxpayers to check the license of the tax preparer
    and whether they attend continuing education classes.
    Looks like IRS is going to regulate tax preparers by telling the public only licensed preparers (EAs, CPAs, and attorneys) who take continuing education are qualified to prepare tax returns.
    Last edited by Bees Knees; 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM.

That IRS list also says this: "Good preparers will ask to see your records and receipts."

I guess I must be a bad preparer, then, because I never ask to see my clients' records and receipts. For a few specific things ... e.g. business mileage logs, charitable contributions of $250+ ... I will ask my clients if they have the requisite records, but I don't demand to see them.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Each yr I increase my due dilligence

Each year I increase my due diligence and some of the resistance I run into with new clients is my previous preparer never ask for this. This year I started requesting attendance reports from the locations the taxpayer claimed to have volunteered at plus mileage logs if applicable. Donations paid by check, debit card or credit card must have some sort of document with the charities name and the amount donated. I try to stay away from deducting any donations by cash with no documents. This year I also put more pressure on taxpayers to use the Goodwill website that calculates thrift values on their non cash donations. I prefer just not to see the documents, I scan as many documents that relate. At times I fell I over scan.

Comment

Most charitable organizations do provide a receipt, but it really isn't required if the gift is under $250 (and even if the total given to the charity aggregates more than $250 in a year). In those situations, a canceled check or credit card receipt is sufficient evidence, along with the client's verification that it was for charitable purposes.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
          I will ask my clients if they have the requisite records, but I don't demand to see them.
          ditto.
          Some seniors have a stack of medical bills 3" thick.

Comment

Working...
          X