Left out W-2's on Mailed Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left out W-2's on Mailed Return

The receptionist here at our tax office passed up having a tax pro do her return and had her father do it by hand. Her father mailed the return and then realized that he forgot to attach her W-2's. What do you think is the most likely result?

(1) The IRS will eventually mail it back to her looking for the W-2's

(2) The IRS will do without.

(3) The IRS will process the return and ask her for the W-2's after the fact.

(4) Something else

Missing Forms W-2

My guess is that they'll send it back, but you never know...

Maybe she should try to file electronically before they get the paper return

Just explain to her that the worst case scenario is that she will be charged with criminal evasion of electronic filing, under 26 USC 8199(j). The maximum penalty is 100% of her refund.

BMK

This post is a satire.
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

She'll get a letter asking for the W2s before they process the return.

Comment

One year I actually made the same mistake on a client's paper file return. IRS will send a letter that will have instructions to either mail or fax the W2. Obviously it is very embaressing when a pro makes the mistake!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Paper Returns

Back in the 20th century, I once mailed a paper return that did not have the taxpayer's signature on it.

It was sent back to the taxpayer pretty fast.

BMK
          Last edited by Koss; 02-25-2014, 10:26 PM.
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Since we seem to have not been paper filing too much any more with the convenience of electronic filing -- just had a reject, and the very last item I remembered was to attach the 1099R forms. Hope I didn't forget anything else that was pertinent.

It might delay processing, and you will a receive a notice, probably with a "pink sheet attached" for missing info.

Sandy

Comment

I have a client that paper files every year. I highlighted where his wife needed to sign. He got the return back asking for signatures. For some reason he called huffing and puffing saying I did not sign the return and how I had held up their refund. I told him to bring it by. I knew I had signed.... my software program signs it for me. So here he comes I look at and tell him I signed it... pointed it out... then pointed out where his wife did not sign. He half way apologized and seemed embarrassed.

Comment

my experience is they will send it to the client and ask that the W2's be attached.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                X