1099R Needed or NOt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099R Needed or NOt?

I just had a client who rolled over a large amount from her 401K via Fidelity to an IRA via another company. She did not receive a 1099R with code G from Fidelity. I told her I thought she should have received a 1099R. She called both Fidelity and the other Company that received the rollover and was advised that no 1099R was needed / required to be issued for the rollover.
    Anyone agree or disagree. I assumed one was required.

In such a direct rollover, no 1099r required.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      In such a direct rollover, no 1099r required.
      Thanks .. good to hear it from another source

Comment

Encountered this a few times, and the Institution that transferred with paper work for a direct rollover to another instituion claims they DO NOT have to issue the 1099R with Code G

I have always liked the paperwork and note as same on the Tax Return with a 1099R form ----In the event I do not have the 1099R for a "code G" I work closely with the client and the institution receiving the rollover, and ask for paperwork or at least to make sure the T/p has in their file, in case of the dreaded CP 2000 notice a year and half later.

Sandy

Comment

From what I am reading in the instructions, it IS required. It is required for a 401k to an IRA, but not an IRA to an IRA.

"You must report a direct rollover of an eligible rollover distribution. A direct rollover is the direct payment of the distribution from a qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, or a governmental section 457(b) plan to a traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or other eligible retirement plan."

"Generally, do not report a transfer between trustees or issuers that involves no payment or distribution of funds to the participant, including a trustee-to-trustee transfer from one IRA to another IRA ... However, you must report: ... Direct rollovers from qualified plans".

As for what to do, I have no idea. Sorry. Maybe send the citations to the 401k company?

Comment

Working...
          X