Mail two amended returns together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mail two amended returns together?

Unmarried couple live together with their child. Last year the child was claimed on the return that produced the least EITC. Amended returns are in order to switch the dependency claim. Would it be wise to mail the two returns in one package?

DonB

Of life's two certainties, there is only one for which you can get an automatic extension. ~Author Unknown

Together, but separate?

While others may disagree, I have had success mailing multiple years of 1040X in the same package. However, I do seal each return in their own well marked envelope, and place them together into one mailer with a breif note of explanation that one will impact the other.

By doing so I give the IRS the option of looking at both or separating them if they wish. It's their call. I figure, why make it harder than you need too.

Just an opinion of one.

Comment

IRS says each return whether same TP or different TPs should never be mailed in one envelope. I further advise that they be sent certified and return receipt requested.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by rtsietsema View Post
        While others may disagree, I have had success mailing multiple years of 1040X in the same package. However, I do seal each return in their own well marked envelope, and place them together into one mailer with a breif note of explanation that one will impact the other.

By doing so I give the IRS the option of looking at both or separating them if they wish. It's their call. I figure, why make it harder than you need too.

Just an opinion of one.
        Just so you know....they don't physically look at the returns. The returns go to data processing to be entered into their computer. You give the IRS way too much credit if you think they actually pay any attention to them.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Never

One of my rules is never mail more than one return in an envelope. I have seen the IRS file where one return was stapled to the other and the other was never processed.

Comment

Working...
          X