Oregon Tax Preparers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Tax Preparers

I am preparing an Oregon return. In the tax preparer area at the end of the return it states that the tax preparer has to enter a license number. Do I have to be licensed in OR or can I enter my EA number? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance........

More Info found

I did find online that if I am an EA I can submit a copy of my EA card with proof of minimum 360 hrs of work experience during at least 2 of the last 5 yrs plus passing an Oregon exam. Is there any way around this? I have 1 very small return for a TP's daughter. The TP will be moving back to her home state (MA) this year. Thanks

Comment

If you are operating as a tax preparer in Oregon you must be licensed by the state, no exceptions. If you are located outside of Oregon you are not subject to the licensing laws.

No number is required of you in the box on the state return.
      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Taxmandan

You made my day!!!! I am in MA and only do a few out of state returns other than MA and CT. I was doing a favor for a TP that I didn't want to turn into a big problem for me. Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

I have filed Oregon Returns for years, with just my EA # - have not had an issue - I prepare approximately 5 Oregon State returns for Residents each year.

Sandy

Comment

Oregon Returns

I have filed Oregon returns from California as an EA and have not stirred up any problems. Without being a CPA, Attorney or having an Oregon license I can't represent clients with state tax problems but am limited to the state equivalent of IRS Form 8821.

Comment

Oregon License Requirement

Oregon's law applies only to those within the Oregon border, EXCEPT when a person preparing the returns out of state is actively soliciting Oregon clients through activities such as having an agent in Oregon, having a "drop-off location" in Oregon, or by advertising in Oregon-based publications - including Oregon area phone books. A person who is preparing the occasional Oregon return for clients who walk into their out-of-state office is neither in Oregon preparing the return, nor are they soliciting Oregon clients and are EXEMPT from needing an Oregon license.

Comment

Thanks Again!

Thanks again everyone for the additional info. I learn something every time I get onto this forum. I really appreciate everyone' input.

Comment

Working...
                X