Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embezzlement Loss

I need some HELP with this:

S-Corp was embezzled from over several year period (large $) - discovered in 2013 - embezzler is now in jail (NO hope of restitution!)
    I will report as embezzlement loss on 1120S, FORM 4684!
    My software automatically takes loss to FORM 4797 also (and line 4 of 1120S) - this makes the K1 show a huge loss on line1 AND embezzlement amount on line 10B of K1.
    If this is correct then the loss will flow thru to taxpayer onto Schedule E page 2?

It seems to me that the embezzlement loss should "flow thru" to taxpayer and onto a FORM 4684 on FORM 1040??? (I can "force" my software to do this by overriding 1120S line 4 to check box saying FORM 4684 only and omitting FORM 4797)??

Will carry the loss back 3 years (because it is a theft) to offset taxes paid/owed on FORM 1040s!

What say YOU GUYS?

the instructions on the K1 tell you where to post the loss on the 1040.
    It will only carry back if you do a 1045 following the instructions
    It did go on the correct form for a business loss
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I don't know anything about this, but I did a test return using ProSeries, and this is what happened:

Before I entered the date on my worksheet, it produced the 4797, carried it to 1120-S line 4, and went to K-1 box 1.
      AFTER I entered the date on my worksheet, it eliminated the 4797, eliminated 1120-S line 4, and went to K-1 box 10.

It should NOT be in BOTH box 1 and box 10 of the K-1. Box 10 is for "any other item of income or loss not included on lines 1 through 9".

So the way ProSeries did it, NO 4797 (which means NO 1120-S Line 4), and ONLY in Box 10 of the K-1.

Yes, if the loss creates a NOL for the current year on the 1040, it can be carried back 3 years, usually by means of Form 1045.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: As a side note, I think you are supposed to issue 1099-MISCs to the embezzler.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys - I have never had a return like this but it just didn't look right as entered!
        I especially like the FORM 1099-MISC idea - unfortunately I don't have the address of the JAIL! ;-)

Comment

jail address

You should be able to get address from the court house or send it to regional jail
          based on info in the news. I think you might be able to last known address.

Comment

Working...
          X