referee miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

referee miles

I see this on another site that I watch. TP has full time job near (12 miles) frrom his house(w-2). TP also referees bb games in winter(no local games). Most games are 75 to 400 miles from home. Gets paid on a 1099 from bb association and gets schedule in Oct to run through March Madness. If tp does not keep up certification he is not allowed to work for them. Question being is tp's mileage deductible on sch c. Usually makes between 4k and 7k per year. I think if he does local games no deduction but on these other games I think possibly. Interested on answers of this board. Thanks

Does he leave from his first job to go to the games he is working?
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

If he gets 1099-misc, he is considered self-employed. Should be able to deduct any expenses he has in connection with the games.

Linda, EA

Comment

But not commuting. I have such a client. We take mileage from his first job to the second refereeing job (weeknights) but not to the Sat/Sun games for which he leaves from home and does not work at his first job.

Comment

Mileage already paid?

A word of caution to ask more questions. I believe it would be rare for an official at that level to not be receiving mileage payment for his travel to the games. Is that payment included in the 1099, or is it somewhere else, and/or not reported to you?

I used to work as an official, and even for high school football and basketball games, received compensation for the mileage to the games location.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            But not commuting. I have such a client. We take mileage from his first job to the second refereeing job (weeknights) but not to the Sat/Sun games for which he leaves from home and does not work at his first job.
            Just curious Burke. Even if he does not go directly from his main job to his ref job you take the mileage. Technically would he not have to go direct to take the mileage.
            I have a few who do ref games as a side. I do take mileage if the game is more than what might be considered outside my clients metropolitan area.

Comment

In our case TP gets a straight game fee.Very rarely do they(bb Association) pay TP for miles. I am still not sure we couldn't call this temp work because it only last through the bb season and TP is done. If he does,' keep up certification tp cannot ref games the next year. All pay is by way of 1099. I wonder how others are treating this? It does seem that TP's biggest cost is getting to games.

Comment

I agree with tax4us

First, I assume the ref is not claiming a home office. If he set up an area where he did the administrative work then problem solved, all driving is deductible.
                Assuming no HO then when he drives to a job far away (a temporary location) (not somewhere he goes to every day) this is deductible.
                Jobs in and near the area of his tax home the drive is only deductible between two jobs, so at best one way.

Comment

Google "Referee Expenses" and you will get a lot of sites offering information on the tax filing for referee expenses.
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                  X