dependency issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dependency issue

I have a client who works (50k/yr), her boyfriend (divorced) and 4 children live with her full time. He receives SS Disability as his only "income". May she claim him as well as the children? The children's baby momma is not in the picture at all...I'm stuck on what is considered "income"...any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by flynfinn View Post
    I have a client who works (50k/yr), her boyfriend (divorced) and 4 children live with her full time. He receives SS Disability as his only "income". May she claim him as well as the children? The children's baby momma is not in the picture at all...I'm stuck on what is considered "income"...any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    SSDI would count for the gross income test only if it's taxable - which can't happen if it's just one year's worth of SSDI (but could with a huge multi-year lump sum).

However, SSDI, if spent on support, is considered support furnished by the recipient, and needs to be factored into the support test. Housing, which is often the largest single support number, has to be divided six ways, so don't be surprised if the support calculations don't work out for any of them.

Comment

thank you sir!

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
      SSDI would count for the gross income test only if it's taxable - which can't happen if it's just one year's worth of SSDI (but could with a huge multi-year lump sum).

However, SSDI, if spent on support, is considered support furnished by the recipient, and needs to be factored into the support test. Housing, which is often the largest single support number, has to be divided six ways, so don't be surprised if the support calculations don't work out for any of them.

Comment

Working...
      X