Advanced Placement courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Placement courses

AP college courses taken during high school -- any way to get education credit on them? Don't think so, since kid's actually enrolled in high school rather than 1/2 time college but just thought I'd give it a shot. Anybody?

Nope. Even if they give them dual credit.

Comment

Lifetime Learning Credit

I don't see how they can qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, but I don't see how they WOULDN'T qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Kinda putting the horse before the cart, but don't see why it wouldn't work...

Comment

Looks like they could take the Tuition and Fee Credit, or Learning credit, their are a few articles on this subject in google search.

Here is one of them:

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
          I don't see how they can qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, but I don't see how they WOULDN'T qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Kinda putting the horse before the cart, but don't see why it wouldn't work...
          Originally posted by Gene V View Post
          Looks like they could take the Tuition and Fee Credit, or Learning credit, their are a few articles on this subject in google search.

Here is one of them:

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories...View/sid/50945

I think the credit or deduction ONLY applies if it is paid TO THE COLLEGE. NOT the high school. The 'new' rules just say you don't need a high school diploma. It still needs to be paid to the college.

For the Tuition and Fees Deduction, the IRC says: "such expenses are in connection with enrollment at an institution of higher education".

Comment

I don't see how they could qualify for any education related credit.

In order to qualify for any education credit, there must be an eligible education institution --- Reg 1.25A-2(b). Pursuant to Reg 1.25A-2(b)(1)(ii) the institution must be "Participating in a Federal financial aid program under title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 or is certified by the Department of Education as eligible to participate in such a program but chooses not to participate."

Under Sec. 484(a)(1) of the Higher Educational Act of 1965, a college student who is enrolled in a high school is not eligible for Federal student aid. Therefore, to the high-school student taking college courses, the tuition is not paid to en eligible institution because that student is not eligible for Federal student aid.

Comment

AP test provides no guaranteed college credit

AP courses are administered and taught at the high school. Then if students opt to take the AP exam (administered by an outside company but not a college), they pay a fee, take the exam and receive a score ranging from 1 to 5. Then colleges decide what, if any, credit to give. For example, one college might give someone with a "4" on the test 3 college credits, another might give 4 credits, another might not give any. So it doesn't seem to me that the fee paid to take the test is for tuition. Just an opinion...no official site!

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                I don't see how they could qualify for any education related credit.

In order to qualify for any education credit, there must be an eligible education institution --- Reg 1.25A-2(b). Pursuant to Reg 1.25A-2(b)(1)(ii) the institution must be "Participating in a Federal financial aid program under title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 or is certified by the Department of Education as eligible to participate in such a program but chooses not to participate."

Under Sec. 484(a)(1) of the Higher Educational Act of 1965, a college student who is enrolled in a high school is not eligible for Federal student aid. Therefore, to the high-school student taking college courses, the tuition is not paid to en eligible institution because that student is not eligible for Federal student aid.

The credit qualification is for if the INSTITUTION is eligible to administer financial aid, not the student being eligible. So a high school person PAYING the (qualified) college is still eligible, but it must be paid to the college.

Comment

no charge

I thought if student took college courses while in high school, there was no charges involved....no tuition paid to college.....that is why some do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by origun View Post
                    AP courses are administered and taught at the high school. Then if students opt to take the AP exam (administered by an outside company but not a college), they pay a fee, take the exam and receive a score ranging from 1 to 5. Then colleges decide what, if any, credit to give. For example, one college might give someone with a "4" on the test 3 college credits, another might give 4 credits, another might not give any. So it doesn't seem to me that the fee paid to take the test is for tuition. Just an opinion...no official site!
                    You got that right. My daughter took such a class and got a "B." The college gave her credit, but it amounted to a "C." I don't know how that escaped us, but it kept her from graduating with honors. If she had not taken the class or submitted it to the college for credit, it would not have factored in and would not have affected her GPA.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                      The credit qualification is for if the INSTITUTION is eligible to administer financial aid, not the student being eligible. So a high school person PAYING the (qualified) college is still eligible, but it must be paid to the college.
                      We'll have to agree to disagree. The institution is ineligible to administer financial aid to this student and thus, in my opinion, disqualifies the institution with respect to this student.

Comment

Working...
                      X