No announcement yet.

Just curious how much you charge for doing easier individual tax returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I charge same base fee regardless of which 1040 form because I always prepare a 1040. Each form that attaches to the 1040, Sch A, etc is charged at 30 or 50 depending on the complexity of the form. Other charges are based on necessary research, out of program calculations etc.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

The frustrating part of charging by tax form is that a lot of work could go into Schedule A such as determining deductible mortgage interest, miscellaneous itemized items, house purchase/sale implications, non-cash donations only to have it less than the standard deduction.

Sure, we can eyeball things to see if it's close and if it is you have to do all that work and may not have a Schedule A on their return.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
        The frustrating part of charging by tax form is that a lot of work could go into Schedule A such as determining deductible mortgage interest, miscellaneous itemized items, house purchase/sale implications, non-cash donations only to have it less than the standard deduction.

Sure, we can eyeball things to see if it's close and if it is you have to do all that work and may not have a Schedule A on their return.
        Although I think charging by the form is like the tail wagging the dog, I would suggest that you print the Schedule A even if it is less than the standard deduction. I generally do that even though I don't charge by the form. The main reason I do it is because, if I don't list those small medical expenses, tax preparation fees, union dues, IRA custodial fees, etc. the client will think I overlooked them.

Usually preparing a useless Schedule A only takes a few minutes, but if they bring a shoe box full of medical expense receipts, that add up to a lot less than 7.5%, they should pay for it. But if they add them up and all I have to do is enter one figure, it is not a big burden.

Comment

Pricing

As noted by an earlier post in this thread, NATP has some tools and survey data that you might find very helpful.

You may e-mail me if you'd like some details.

BMK
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            Where are you located Steve and do you have a commercial office?
            I'm located north of Boston.

I had a commercial office for more than two years. Walk-in business was not worth it. I got tired of hearing folks complain about my fees when I know my fees are less than HRB or a CPA. For every 'free' 1040EZ from HRB I heard about, there were single moms with one W2, EITC, CTC and daycare credits that were paying more than $350.

I now do a lot of work remotely (phone, secure email) as I do with my financial planning clients.

But I also have a physical office shared with a CPA where I do meet clients as needed (nope, no clients or help from the CPA relationship).

Comment

Working...
            X