German Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Income

Have client who is 70+ years old who is of german descent. Has been in this country for many years.
    She has started receiving an amount (2k) from the German government. The only thing she was able
    to tell me was that this income is because she had children while she lived in Germany years ago. The
    children are now adults. She was unable to give me a name for the program under which she receives
    this income.

Does anyone have any idea of what this would be and whether it is taxable to United States.

Taxable, report on line 21 of the 1040. Worldwide income is taxable.

Comment

You need to find out if these benefits are in any way SS benefits. If they are, they follow the same rules like US SS benefits. Unlike here, the German Government does not mail a tax form but there should be some type of mail. Your client did not just get a check in the mail. You can send me a private message if you need help translating.

Comment

German Income

She said that the money is deposited in her bank account each month. She said
        it is money she receives because she gave birth to children in Germany. From what
        I have read the German government came up with a program to encourage people to
        have children since the birthrate in Germany is now so low.

She did not know the name of the program giving rise to the payments but she is going to
        talk with relatives in Germany and find out if it is taxable in Germany and what
        the name of the program is.

Hopefully when I have this information I will be better able to make some kind
        of determination.

Comment

Check out the tax treaty with Germany-- http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/germany.pdf

Comment

Working...
          X