Debt forgiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt forgiveness

I am seeing my first 1099 c on a house. Calling this a day. Will research more tomorrow. My ATX software doesn't have a 1099 c installed. I did find a form 982. Is that where it goes? This was her home, is it taxable? Thanks!!!

In The Tax Book

you will find your answers. They have a pretty good section starting on page 14-10.

The one thing I don't see the authors dealing with is if ineterst is included in the amount forgiven.

Or did I miss it?

Comment

Yes and no.

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
      I am seeing my first 1099 c on a house. Calling this a day. Will research more tomorrow. My ATX software doesn't have a 1099 c installed. I did find a form 982. Is that where it goes? This was her home, is it taxable? Thanks!!!
      To my knowledge, no software has a 1099A or 1099C. It is not a form for submission. Form 982 is filed only if you are excluding some or all of the COD income. Otherwise, COD goes in the appropriate place on the return, and capital gain or loss is dealt with in the usual way.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
        you will find your answers. They have a pretty good section starting on page 14-10.

The one thing i don't see the authors dealing with is if ineterst is included in the amount forgiven.

Or did i miss it?
        that section in the taxbook is awesome! Thanks! I'm trying to figure out how you know if a loan is recourse or non recourse. I found online that nc is a non recourse state, does that mean all fha loans are non recourse?

Comment

Ok I looked at section 14 in the taxbook and looked up IRC 108 (e) (2) in reference to non taxability up to the amount of deduction lost. I'm thinking whatever portion of the forgiveness would be interest will be non taxable. I'm still trying to figure out how you know what is recourse and non recourse, should I just ask T/P to ask FHA? If the principal residence exclusion applied, I wouldn't have to worry about this mess, but is 2013.

Comment

What did the 1099-C

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
            Ok I looked at section 14 in the taxbook and looked up IRC 108 (e) (2) in reference to non taxability up to the amount of deduction lost. I'm thinking whatever portion of the forgiveness would be interest will be non taxable. I'm still trying to figure out how you know what is recourse and non recourse, should I just ask T/P to ask FHA? If the principal residence exclusion applied, I wouldn't have to worry about this mess, but is 2013.
            indicate in box 5?

Comment

Ask your client for her loan documents.
              Last edited by Lion; 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Yes, but not necessarily correctly.

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                indicate in box 5?
                You may need to look at the loan documents. It can also depend on the state.
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
                X