Can a S-Corp be placed on hold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a S-Corp be placed on hold?

One of S-Corp clients asked me that. I would think the S-Corp could be dormant but would still be required to file a tax return each tax year, correct?

can an s corp be put on hold

An S corp must file taxes any year that they are in existence whether they have a gain or not.
    ken

Comment

And the penalty is an unbelievable $195 per month, per shareholder (max of 12 months).

Last year we had an S corp, 4 shareholders, didn't file the previous year - they thought they could just ignore it and it would be dissolved.

SURPRISE $9,360 in penalties. We asked for an abatement, however I never heard what happened.

Mike

Comment

The penalties are assessed against the corporation...... so if they just walk away from the Corp, nothing is due. UNLESS the corp has assets that are in the corp or distributed to the shareholders.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          The penalties are assessed against the corporation...... so if they just walk away from the Corp, nothing is due. UNLESS the corp has assets that are in the corp or distributed to the shareholders.
          S corp owned a vacant warehouse. No income, but the building was worth some bucks.

Comment

He had better file every year and try to get the penalties removed...............Otherwise he will owe the money.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
            X