401(k) and deductible IRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401(k) and deductible IRA

I'm not clear on my readings on this but a client asked if she could still contribute and deduct an IRA contribution if she also has a 401(k) at work. I don't believe she can. My understanding is if you are in a 401(k), you are considered in a retirement plan and that precludes you from making tax deductible IRA contributions. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

It depends on the numbers. Some can, some can't.

Comment

When those questions come in and you want to answer quickly you have to catch yourself because of the phaseout rules:

Trad IRA with Active Participation (Their W2 has the pension or ret plan box 13 checked)

MFJ 95,000 to 115,000
      Single, HOH 59,000 to 69,000

BTW I keep my TTB next to the phone. The cover has all this nicely listed.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

So there are situations where you can deduct an Ira contribution even if you are in a 401k?

Comment

ah yes the phaseout rules

Thanks both of you.

Comment

TTB: rtfm?

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            When those questions come in and you want to answer quickly you have to catch yourself because of the phaseout rules:

Trad IRA with Active Participation (Their W2 has the pension or ret plan box 13 checked)

MFJ 95,000 to 115,000
            Single, HOH 59,000 to 69,000

BTW I keep my TTB next to the phone. The cover has all this nicely listed.
            Are you suggesting this is (or was) an RTFM issue?
            Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
              So there are situations where you can deduct an Ira contribution even if you are in a 401k?
              Yes, certainly. It's all about the phaseout limits for the filing status. (Keep in mind that a non-deductible contribution can be made in any case; however, if a contribution is going to be non-deductible anyway, a Roth contribution should be favored over a non-deductible contribution to a Traditional IRA if AGI allows it.)
              --
              James C. Samans ("Jamie")

Comment

Working...
              X