Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same old tale

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
    Non-cash charitable contributions are pretty ridiculous on their own. Not sure I've ever had a taxpayer want to deduct a sane value for their bags of "household goods". I have had plenty want to take the "standard" amount though.
    Agreed. One client even countered with "But I only buy NICE clothes!" However, it is not a terrible burden to tell a client...even one who "cleans out his house"... what is involved to prepare a reasonable, but not excruciatingly painful to prepare, inventory of the items donated. For the run of the mill Goodwill donations, something like x pairs of pants and y dresses and z sweaters is sufficient. For higher value items, such as furniture, most folks have access to a camera to take a simple picture of the item and its condition. It doesn't take a lot of effort to reach a reasonable total FMV based upon the normal sales prices of such items at the Goodwill Store. Store retail price lists are posted, and are generally available at the facility and/or online. I think at one time TurboTax even had a separate software program for coming up with values, but the user also had to denote the condition of the item. My guess is many "perfect condition" items were claimed as opposed to the fairly common "Goodwill put it in the dumpster upon receipt" items.

It is a prudent step in the right direction to have anything in hand other than those little slips of white paper "receipts" they hand out at Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I think a good faith, reasonable record of the items donated will definitely carry some weight with even the most hardened tax auditors. OTOH, dropping items into a curbside box and later claiming excessive dollar amounts of "value" for doing so, even with a Form 8283, may likely be met with...."disallowed!"

As a side note: How often is the person who "can't provide an inventory/list" the same person who shows up with a shoebox full of prescription drug receipts ?? (You KNOW it is true!) That may also be the next door neighbor of the person who bought a 12-foot live Christmas tree at the church bazaar, or even a handful of raffle tickets, and argues that OBVIOUSLY the full amount of such "donations" ... heck, I bet the raffle tickets even show "donation"!! ... as a tax write-off.

Finally, I recently got into a discussion with a non-client (thankfully) who informed me she ALWAYS takes the automatic $500/year donation for non-cash items. Her secondary response...."It must be OK....I've never been audited."

Some days I ponder retirement much more seriously than on other days.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404

Asking for Audits?

Re comment by ATSMAN: "pick up unwanted household stuff for next to nothing and then donate to the Church"

You beat me to it!

...I do not think you are allowed to do that!! (Well, I guess it IS OK is you eventually claim a charitable donation in the corresponding amount of "next to nothing.")

Creative....kinda like the 8 X $250 unreceipted non-cash contributions followed by "What Form 8283 ??"

I don't like to live that dangerously, especially if my signature is on the tax return.

FE
      If "Creative" is referring to my suggestion about claiming non-receipted drop-box contributions, then you misprepresent me. I did not say that one client could deduct eight $250 contributions without an 8283. What I said was that if one person's entire eight contributions totaled less than $250, then the form 8283 and receipts would not be necessary (according to the IRS Pub. 526 you quoted).
      Last edited by Black Bart; 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

O k

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
        If "Creative" is referring to my suggestion about claiming non-receipted drop-box contributions, then you misprepresent me. I did not say that one client could deduct eight $250 contributions without an 8283. What I said was that if one person's entire eight contributions totaled less than $250, then the form 8283 and receipts would not be necessary (according to the IRS Pub. 526 you quoted).
        Yes, dear.

Now, slowly back away from the computer. . . .

(I don't think anyone was trying to misrepresent anything. There are other posts in this thread.)

Continuing memo to self: "Why do you even continue to waste your time/energy on these boards??"

Comment

And in this corner.....

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          "Why do you even continue to waste your time/energy on these boards??"
          C'mon now Duke, this was just starting to get interesting!

Next time I'm going to charge admission...Bart gets 50% under the table...

Comment

Olive Branch

O k

Yes, dear.

Now, slowly back away from the computer. . . .
            Thanx for the warning, but why? Have you exported an IED to my computer?

(I don't think anyone was trying to misrepresent anything. There are other posts in this thread.)
            True, true. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me. An overdone wariness is perhaps the result of vigilance against the insidious plots of the "My Way or The Highway" cabal.

Continuing memo to self: "Why do you even continue to waste your time/energy on these boards??"
            Good question! However, don't let it fret yuh -- the reason is that boarders, as you know, frequently refer deeper issues to you and generally expect a just and proper (if distasteful or pro-IRS) finding.

BB

Comment

Heckfire, even I don't allow these deductions without receipts! And my clientele knows it. I have handed all of them the page out of TTB with the rules and suggested valuations, and I have some from 4 more places -- i.e, Salvation Army, Goodwill, Junior League, etc. And then (for one client who obviously puts down original cost of designer clothing ) I reduce it to 20% of what she says is the value. She has to itemize each item.

Comment

Unl;ess

you have the backup why would you expect anything not to be thrown out. You may plead, but without backup why wqould the auditor change his/her mind..

If any one thinks that Goodwill or any other organization would value your donation of clothes, games or househould goods you are dreaming. Now it there value is big enough $5,000+ that may encourge them(you have to have done page 2), but the charities 20 years ago said they would not get involved in that. They hire noone to do it.

Comment

I don't understand the problem. They say "put down the max". I put down the zero and move on (quickly, before they notice). Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X