EA Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Exam

While there have been considerable posts relating to preparing for the EA exam, I have a question that is just a little difference.

I have been preparing taxes very successfully for 16 years but none for the Corporate world, no partnerships, estates or trusts either. I would like to broaden my business to include those but freely confess that I need to go through a learning process first. Then (and only then) I would like to take the EA exam.

All of the recommendations I have read about preparing for the EA seem to be about providing substantial review. Is there a course or series of courses that some of you would recommend for those of us who wish to really LEARN the material from scratch, not just REVIEW the material for the purposes of passing the exam?

Any and all responses will be welcomed and appreciated!

Courses

H&R Block has great courses on these subjects. Non-employees can take these courses, but I don't know what they charge.

Gary

Comment

Do you have a degree?

This is not meant as a slanderous question. I recently recieved my bachelor's and learned a great deal about corporate and trust taxation in a course that I took titled Advanced Federal Taxation. I'm sure you could enroll at your local community college (this is a sophomore level course) and take this or a similar course for either credit or as continuing ed. Of course, hands on learning needs to be included. Ask the professor for some activities to practice with hypothetical corps, trusts, partnerships, etc.

Comment

EA Exam

Yes, I have a degree, but not in accounting. I have, however, taken basic accounting courses. I have also, taken literally hundreds of hours of continuing ed courses over my years in the business to the point I am very confident in taking every part of the exam that does not deal with corps, partnerships, estates and trusts.

Schedule wise, taking regular college classes would be difficult at the present time. Therefore, I am looking for some type of online or correspondence program that truly teachs the material. I don't mind a program that requires testing from a proctor since I need to learn the material to take the EA exam anyway. I have looked at HRB's programs as someone suggested but have found nothing that appears to be more than very basic material in these areas or at best review material tht prepares one to take the EA exam. Again, I don't want to REVIEW the material. I want to LEARN it. After that, I probably would take a review program to help insure passing the exam on the first attempt.

THANKS for the responses so far! I hope even more will come in.

Comment

Try CCH

You might want to take a look at

From new hires to seasoned professionals, Wolters Kluwer offers expert training and learning solutions that provide efficient skill-building opportunities for your entire staff.

There are a number of courses in those areas, and they are well written.

Comment

Try this web........

..............site. they do a lot for EAs and other accounting issues. They have study material > Call them for all that is available.

ACAT is a non-profit, independent, testing, accrediting and monitoring organization for tax and accounting professionals.
            Last edited by BOB W; 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I got my degree online

Strayer is fully accredited, flexible, and designed for working professionals. Start your bachelor’s degree with a new laptop and save up to 25% with Graduation Fund.

you can take one class ( the Advanced Federal Taxation course) or a bunch. this is not an accounting course, this is a course on FEDERAL TAXATION, including corps, partnerships and trusts. great material, great staff, great all around

Comment

Courses

I still think the HRB courses are very thorough, if you do the homework and get a good instructor. Courses like Corporations or Partnerships would probably have good instructors since the so-so ones wouldn't be interested in those topics at Block (can make more money preparing lots of RAL returns than a few complex returns/businesses). Don't take Introduction to Business Entities. But, things like Transfers of Wealth, Depreciation, and the new Depreciation Symposium, would be good for you as well as the two mentioned above. I just read someplace, but can't remember where to confirm it, that for non-Block employees the courses cost $15 per credit. I think they offer more than 100 courses. Most of the online courses are the shorter ones. The ones you want will need a classroom setting so you can ask the instructor questions and discuss with other preparers. Good luck.

Comment

This may be .........

......... more of what you are looking for........

This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
                  X