NEW submission ID for Efiling-DCN OBSOLETE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW submission ID for Efiling-DCN OBSOLETE

I got this from ProSeries today....thought you all would want to be aware.

Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Thanks

Originally posted by taxea View Post

http://accountants.intuit.com/suppor...AX&id=SLN77881
    I knew they went to the SID but did not know we had to record it after the fact. Kind of sucks...

Dusty

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by taxea View Post

http://accountants.intuit.com/suppor...AX&id=SLN77881
      I knew they went to the SID but did not know we had to record it after the fact. Kind of sucks...

Dusty

Comment

So much for the paperwork reduction act.

As usual the good ole IRS takes a giant step backwards.

Comment

I'm not sure the point in that. I do know the submission ID isn't assigned until the return is transmitted. I also know the submission ID is different on different submissions. If the return gets rejected, or if you send the fed and then send the state separately, you'll have multiple submissions and thus multiple submission IDs.

What I don't understand is why I'd be required to print an 8879 to attach to the original one w/out submission ID after the return is acknowledged. The submission ID would exist in the tax software if I ever needed it, wouldn't it? Seems like I could access the submission IDs at any time I need to. Where as with keeping signed copies of 8879 you can't do that later - you do that when the taxpayer is there to sign prior to efile. Obviously the submission ID will be blank when the taxpayer signs as you can't transmit without the signatures.

Comment

I'm not sure the point in that. I do know the submission ID isn't assigned until the return is transmitted.
            Not necessarily. Depends on your software. Based on last year's MeF submissions ...

TaxWise assigns the Submission ID when the e-file is created, so it appears on any 8879 printed after that time. So if you follow the normal sequence (prepare return, run diagnostics, produce e-file, print return, review with client, have client sign, transmit return ... ) you have a signed 8879 with the correct number on it. If you make any changes and/or rerun the diagnostics, you have to remake the e-file, and the SID changes.

On the other extreme, TaxAct created the SID when they transmitted to the IRS, and the SID never appeared anywhere (i.e. was not on the acknowledgement).

Comment

Through my software when I process the t/p return, and print out the 8879 forms for signature - it is printing out a DCN

Do I need to do more? confused by the prior posts.

Nothing seems any different than what I have done in the past years. I do know if a rejection or changes - I have to reprint and obtain new signatures.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                Through my software when I process the t/p return, and print out the 8879 forms for signature - it is printing out a DCN

Nothing seems any different than what I have done in the past years. I do know if a rejection or changes - I have to reprint and obtain new signatures.

Sandy
                You may be - the 8879 no longer has "DCN" - that was replaced with "Submission Identification Number (SID)" http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf

Format of a submission ID is different than a DCN, but it's mostly equivalent to DCN.

The format of a submission ID is globally unique 20 digit number with the following format: (EFIN + ccyyddd + 7-digit alphanumeric sequence number)

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
                Not necessarily. Depends on your software. Based on last year's MeF submissions ...

TaxWise assigns the Submission ID when the e-file is created, so it appears on any 8879 printed after that time. So if you follow the normal sequence (prepare return, run diagnostics, produce e-file, print return, review with client, have client sign, transmit return ... ) you have a signed 8879 with the correct number on it. If you make any changes and/or rerun the diagnostics, you have to remake the e-file, and the SID changes.

On the other extreme, TaxAct created the SID when they transmitted to the IRS, and the SID never appeared anywhere (i.e. was not on the acknowledgement).
                That makes sense. I wonder what would happen with TaxWise if you created the efile and then do the transmission the next day instead of right away. Or if you produce the e-file and have the taxpayer come in a few days later to sign. The Julian date in the submission ID would be wrong for the date transmitted. Doesn't look like the IRS is doing any validation against that though so it probably is fine. The only thing it really needs is to be globally unique which if the submission ID is created upon efile creation should be fine.

Comment

I probably have to call my software, one return efiled, the original 8879 that was given for signature of T/p only has the DCN

Return efiled, and ACK's retrieved for same

Go back to the return - no new notation on the 8879 for the Submission ID #, however I do have it on my ACK

There is no way I can print an updated 8879 with the SID info, unless my software provides it

Is the ACK printout enough?

Sandy

Comment

Au contraire!

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post

My TaxAct acks always give SID's, which I retain electronically. If anyone isn't satisfied with that, they can hang me for it!
                    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Where is it getting a DCN?

Originally posted by S T View Post

Sandy
                      MeF has never used DCN 's.
                      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I am showing 2 different numbers on my ACKS - I have a submission ID - not being printed on the Form 8879 and I have a DCN which is bing printed on the Form 8879 for signature

Just going with the info that the original post started out as - I can not reprint a 8879 with SID - only shows the DCN

So guess if I print the ACK with the SID and have a note on that - I am meeting the requirements?

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by appelman View Post
                          MeF has never used DCN 's.
                          Well, the DCN format, if DCN's were used, would still be the same as prior years. It'd be easy enough to generate and print a DCN, the number would just be meaningless. Could be they just don't want to deal with preparer's asking "Where's the DCN?" and choose to continue printing a non-used DCN. I've seen stranger things. As long as the submission ID is available somewhere I don't see the point in having it on an 8879 vs somewhere else. Just have it somewhere associated with the acked returns and who is going to really care that it isn't on the 8879 form itself? MEF itself isn't new after all and it's never been on the 8879 in prior years.

Comment

... I wonder what would happen with TaxWise if you created the efile and then do the transmission the next day instead of right away. Or if you produce the e-file and have the taxpayer come in a few days later to sign. The Julian date in the submission ID would be wrong for the date transmitted. Doesn't look like the IRS is doing any validation against that though so it probably is fine. The only thing it really needs is to be globally unique which if the submission ID is created upon efile creation should be fine.
                            Based on actual returns for this year, the SID remains as originally generated/printed even though it does not correspond to the date actually transmitted. Returns have been (federally) accepted and subsequently submitted to state.

Comment

Sid

Using Drake, the DCN appears on both the 8879 and the 9325. You can go to the EF data base and look them up one at a time, but there is an easier way. You can go to Reports and create a report under EF and Bank Products. The report can include the client name, Federal SID and State SID. The report can be exported to Excel, and at the end of the tax season or any time in between, you can print the Excel worksheet.

Unless a client asks for the SID, it is not too likely that you will actually need this, but to be on the safe side, I'll print the report after tax season and keep it for a few years.

Hopefully all software companies will provide some means of doing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X