Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation tables - possible errors?

Hi,

I just bought the Deluxe Edition and after running through a lot of calculations on my own, I noticed what seems to be errors in the 200DB depreciation tables (HY and MQ conventions) for 15-year and 20-year recovery periods. Specifically, the values under those columns (15-year and 20-year) in the 200DB tables seem to be identical to those in the 150DB tables for the same recovery period.

For example, the 15-year column in the 200DB HY table on Page 9-1 is exactly the same as the 15-year column in the 150DB HY table on Page 9-2. Same pattern repeats for 200DB MQ tables on Page 9-6 vs. 150DB MQ tables on Pages 9-3 and 9-4.

I created an Excel spreadsheet to calculate depreciation deductions for pretty much all recovery periods, all methods and conventions and verified most of my numbers with the tables under Tab 9 (Depreciation). While most of them match my calculations (except for rounding errors), the 200DB table values for 15-year and 20-year schedules don't match at all. At first I thought something was wrong with my calculations but then I found that the 200DB values are identical to the 150DB values (which seem to be correct) for 15-year and 20-year.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and can verify whether these are indeed copy errors in the tables.

Thanks,
    -Amber O.

Regular MACRS

Regular MACRS for 15 and 20 year property is 150% declining balance. 200DB is used for 3, 5, and 7 year property.

Comment

Jainen is correct. The 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, and 20-year heading for the table on page 9-1 refers to 200DB, but the 15, and 20-year columns can only be 150DB because MACRS does not allow 200DB for 15 and 20 year property. Thus, those two columns are identical to the 150DB columns in the chart on page 9-2.

The same is true for the tables on page 9-6.

The only thing wrong is that the heading for all those tables should not imply that the 15 and 20 year columns are 200DB. They are 150DB for those two columns only.

Comment

Learned something new, again. Didn't know that 200 DDB stops at 7-year property. Thanks.

Comment

10-year

10-year. My post was not complete. Thanks to Bees Knees for the right info.

Comment

Working...
          X